TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
battle of the bulge
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 11:57 AM UTC
Saw this at the weekend. What a laugh. It was hard at times to see who was who. Those tiger IIs and shermans never looked better.????
Anybody else see this recently. I remember seeing this about 20 years ago and thinking it was a cool film. Knowledge sucks!! #:-)
waterboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 466 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 01:14 PM UTC
Though I have to agree the movie is a little corney and the special effects( the tanks) really do suck. You must remember this was done without any computer graphics and any movie with Henry Fonda and Charles Bronson is still fun to watch. The hairs on the back of my neck still stand on end when that group of young German tank crews burst into the song Panzerlied during inspection.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 11:12 PM UTC
We had a discussion about this one a year ago. Seems it was in a dead heat with Midway for the worst WW2 film ever made.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:53 PM UTC
i seen this before...yup i could agree more..the tanks sucks...
i still remember when the german said that they're going to use the new king tiger..then taddaaaaaaa...the king tiger (???)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 01:21 AM UTC
I'm with you in that I saw this movie when it first came out, and many times over the years since and thought it was pretty good. Then I saw it with a critical eye and felt it was one of the worst war movies I'd ever saw. I think I can even forgive them for using M60s and M24s as Tigers and Shermans. I can't forgive the over the top acting, the way they played fast and loose with history, or the cheesy special effects. Yes, I know they didn't have the computer effects we take for granted now, but they were so much worse than the movie Battleground made 20 years earlier.
mossieramm
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
entire network: 253 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:46 AM UTC
I watch this movie a fictitious what-if . Then it's ok. Just.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:49 AM UTC
I must admit that when I saw the film for the first time I wasn't very impressed,there are war movies about that are far better.
Pete
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
entire network: 1,236 Posts
KitMaker Network: 153 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:42 AM UTC
I know that one is't realy the best best movie, but what is the best movie of the Batle of the bulge?
just wondering
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 03:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

what is the best movie of the Batle of the bulge?

For my money it would be Battleground, a movie from the late 40s early 50s, or the BOB episodes of Band of Brothers.
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 04:34 PM UTC
Up here in canada our history channel showed the longest day, battle of the bulge and a bridge to far on this past D-DAY anniversary weekend. And when viewed in that context the Bulge looked even worse than usual. It was so chessy and heavy handed. Plus I can't believe they couldn't round up any shermans for it, having fill in "hollywood" tanks for the King Tigers is one thing, but not one running sherman, GEESHHH!! A bridge too far is of the same era or later and they had what looked to be alot of running tanks.
mossieramm
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
entire network: 253 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:55 PM UTC
Speaking of a Brigde to Far, what tank is that, the one in the street when Sean Connery is hiding in someones attic, and comes to the conclusion that he surrounded.