_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Model name plates
StarTraveler
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 06:33 AM UTC
Need some quick opinions. going to my first model competitiont his weekend in Pensacola.

When you guys do competitions, do you have a tag or plaque attached to your base, stand, model, that indicates what it is ?

Example, a small plaque that might state:

M20 Armored Utility Car
(date) (theater)

Is that something that is expected ? preferred ? Doesn't matter ??

Simple question, but I have no idea either way on this one. I know on a diorama you would have a tag stating the name of the diorama, but not sure of individual models.

As always, thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 06:48 AM UTC
Startraveler,
I've judged Supercon in Arlington, Texas several times. As far as the catagorie for individual intries in the vehicles catagory go. Our rules where that the base does not get judged with the model. Now when we had 2 or 3 vehicles that we just couldnt decide who got first or second, then we started to look at other things.
My self, I dont use bases with tags, and i have numerous 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place awards. I simply just place an index card with all the extra info I want the judges to know about next to the entry form and model.
StarTraveler
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 06:54 AM UTC
Thanks for the quick response Epi. That is what I needed (from someone who knows !).

Ok, so I can show the model and just place a note card with the info I want to convey.

Thanks a bunch !!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 07:01 AM UTC
Do you have the rules for that particular show? Well, see, I write done all the stuff on an index card at home to save time. Instead of sitting in line trying to write done everything on the entry form, I have it all ready and all I have to add on the entry is the model name and scale. Now another show might be different than the ones I've been too.
StarTraveler
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 07:38 AM UTC
Yes, I read the rules for the show. No info regarding this type of information. Looking at pics of last years show ont eh web site, it does look like a few of the models have cards next to them, but unable to read the info on them. The cards are not uniform, so I am guessing they are cards with specific info on them.

Will go the index card route and see what happens ! Thanks again.
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 07:44 AM UTC
You should have nothing to worry about. I've seen enties that have a nice base, with name tag, and a paper that was Word Perfect and color describing everything about the model, but did not win, because he forgot to sand of a seem or didnt comtinue the weather underneath the vehicle.
rjray
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 230 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 02:15 PM UTC
Here's a different spin-- how does one go about getting these plates made in an affordable way? When I had a placard made for my Tamiya Steyr 1500/A01 a few year ago, it cost me almost as much as the kit...

Randy
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 03:12 PM UTC
Here's an easy way... take some overhead projector transparencies and print your text in mirror image. On the reverse, spray some gold spray paint and voila... instant name plate.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 05:03 PM UTC
I do what Mike suggested but i dont spray the reverse of the transparency . i make same size balsa wood plate coverit with golden or silver coloured metallic adhesive paper and i put the trasparent printing on this . This way u give some thickness to the plate and is not same level with the base. It looks good
Costas
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 12:04 AM UTC
Here is another way you can go about it. I made a couple a while back with some brass and some dry transfer letters. Woodland Scenics has a varity of dry letter transfers in different sizes and scripts. Cut the brass to shape, rub the letters down, and seal it.

I bought a name plate from my local trophy/sport shop. I believe it didnt cost no more than $10.00. I had to pay by the letter.
 _GOTOTOP