_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
newbie questions:glueing
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 02:44 PM UTC
1. how do you guys apply glue. I've bought all teh forms: liquid (brush), Fine needle and old fashioned toothpick and testors. I'm finding that with teh toothpick method it's very accurate but after little time: strings. Any solutions for when I just wnat to spot glue?
2. When glueing do you apply glue the part to put on the area or where it will go?
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 02:53 PM UTC
I use only CA glue when building, the gel-kind of. (Ok ok, I use white glue to attach clear parts). No strings, no mess, very accurate to place with a toothpick. And firm.
The placement of glue depends on the case. Some smaller detail parts I sometimes glue over paint and cote, so I do not always clean the glue attachment area before.
Has worked for me so far!
I do not like modelling glues as they melt the plastic. CA does not, it just makes very hard and thin lyer of "plastic" between parts.
Once I had a 1:48 Airfix Spitfire hanging from the roof. It fell on the floor and the right wing cracked off -not where the seam was but 5 mm next to it. So the CA glue didn´t fail, the wing did!

Toni
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 07:55 PM UTC
Hey bro,

I use Testors liquid (an MEK based glue) for all the platic. I use two different synthetic brushes (the type that wont disolve in the glue) to apply the glue. On brush is very used and is like a wide applicator, the other, a newer one and it is very fine.

As with Envar, white glue has it's benifit.

CA glue is a must for any resin & PE work. Get and the supper thin stuff are great.

HTH,
Dave
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 10:27 PM UTC
I use Tamiya extra thin cement. Comes with an applicator brush. No strings and it flows nicely.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 12:40 AM UTC
Like Toni, I use cyanoacrylate (super glue) for everything. Depending on what you are trying to put together, there are different methods of application. I use a needle to apply the glue; you can also use wire, but a toothpick won't work, it has to be metal. When the glue hardens and gets too thick on the needle, I can scrape it off with an X-acto knife, so I never have to throw the needle away. Anyway, back to actually applying the stuff. For most pieces I just put soem CA glue on one side and stick them together. I use medium thickness glue, which is thick enough to fill gaps and doesn't set immediately, so you can fiddle around with the piece for a bit. For pieces that you don't want a seam showing, like gun barrels, you can use a different method. First, hold the pieces together with small strips of masking tape. Get some glue on your applicator and run a bead of it down the seam line. Capillary action will take the glue into the seam to make the parts stick together. Take the tape off and glue those areas. Scrape the excess glue off the parts with a knife and then sand it down. The seam should be gone.
Hope that helps.

Nic
desert_fox
Visit this Community
Estonia
entire network: 10 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 04:15 AM UTC
Hi,
i'm using three types of glue (ordinary plastic glue/CA/white glue). What becomes to the plastic glue then you should use the liquid one in botlles. Don't use tube glues, as it is hard to work with them and You will end up by ruining Your model
What becomes to aplicator the here I use modified needle :-)
I have cut away the end of the needle, thanks to what by help of capillary I can get more glue on to the needle and therefor also use it with best control :-)
When preparing Your modified needle be carefull as the removed part tends to fly :-)
d_f
 _GOTOTOP