_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Realistic panel lines & rivents on BALSA?
scubyfan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 24 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2004 - 03:31 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I know much has been said about exaggerating panel lines and rivets on plastic models, but what about balsa? I am working on a scratch-built scale of a certain aircraft and have to do the panel lines from scratch. What techniques would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
MadMeex
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
entire network: 424 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 12:17 AM UTC
Balsa won't take engraving panel lines well, so I'd recommend painting the panels in slightly varying shades of color and/or using a dark shade to draw the lines on the plane. For rivets, you can either use the same method (use a dot of slightly lighter color to make the rivet appear proud of the surface, or if you dont need to worry about weight / balance (ie. non-flying balsa model) they you could glue individual plastic / resin rivet heads of the appropriate scale.

My thoughts,
Mika
scubyfan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 08:29 AM UTC
Well, the thing is I don't want to just paint it on: I want to "groove" it on. This will be a very large model (think at least 50 inches long), so just painting panel lines and rivets on would look cheesy and "un-scale." Is there no other way?
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 09:16 AM UTC
One possable idea, add the individual panels as separate panels using paper or thin card stock. Rivet detail could be impressed before application.
scubyfan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 12:32 PM UTC
Wow, that is a great idea! I was thinking of 1/32 balsa, in sections, but using paper will probably be much easier, not to mention lighter! Thanks for your suggestion!

Anyone else?
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 02:49 PM UTC
Howdy scubyfan,

Not sure if your moniker is 'scuba', or 'scooby' related...but just in case it's the latter, maybe I've got a 'scooby-treat' for ya.

I've done a wee bit of sculpting myself, and I have never really used Balsa that much. What I have used successfully is Basswood. It's almost identical to Balsa, except, the wood is denser, is much easier to carve, and resists 'tear-out' a bit more than Balsa. Now, I've never tried to etch panel lines in it, so I'm not entirely sure it will work, but it's certainly worth a try. Just stop by your LHS and pick up a small piece and try to lay your line.
And please, if you do, let us know if it works.

Also, if money is no object, you can use REN shape.
hth.

Tread.

....now, as to the rivets...............sheeeeeesh.......

Since this project is obviously 'Secret'.....can you at least tell us it's scale? I mean, "50 inches" tells me something, but certainly not enough to go hogwild with the input.....
scubyfan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 03:52 PM UTC
Howdy,

Thanks for your post. I'm not too sure what REN shape is, though.

As for the model, I can't divulge what it is...yet. It should be ready within a few months, and I'll be sure to drop in and show it to you guys!
 _GOTOTOP