History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Millitary overthrows of government question
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 09:12 PM UTC
Hi guys, it has always puzzled me why when in the past a millitary faction has overthrown its country's government, many times the leaders of the faction have of the rank of colonel. I know it is not in every case but certainly in many cases it is so.

My question is what was it about the rank and authority of a colonel in armed forces that allowed them to overthrow a government? I've no millitary experience but it seems to me that the generals that would have the power and authority in the millitary to organise a forced takeover rather than a lower ranking officer.
This question has no relevence to my current rank here, I promise I'm not planning a coup here on Armorama. :-)
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 10:40 PM UTC
Could be that a Colonel is high enough to have the command of enough men, but still low enough to be dissatisfied (or jealous?) with those in power?
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 10:03 PM UTC
IMHO (based also on the experience my country has with coup attempts), putsches likes these are led by LTC's and full Colonels. At that rank, they are senior enough but they are also at the rank where the resources to fight are at their disposal since they command battalions, regiments and brigades (which numbers a thousand men and lots of materiel).

They are deeply politicized as well which started since they were junior officers. As they rise in rank, especially where they are now, they feel they are in a now better position to take action. Their dispositions may vary though.
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 11:54 PM UTC
Thanks for the info guys, I think I understand now.