_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
paint lines
whiterook
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 263 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 02:27 AM UTC
Hello:
When ever I do any masking ,after I paint and pull off the tape,I get a little ridge between the colours. How do I get rid of this ridge?
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 3,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 453 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 02:33 AM UTC
What kind of tape are you using? What are you painting with, airbrush or paint brush?
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 07:10 AM UTC
I would suggest using tamiya tape and if you are using an Airbrush ..you would be better off thinning your paint more and maybe just go over it with light coats instead of one heavy coat. That should help out with the problem.

Rick
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 08:59 AM UTC
Use care when applying the paint. Too thick of paint or too many coats will leave a visible line. If you have a line try some 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Wet the model and paper or hold the model under running water and lightly sand the line down. Once you are finished the line will be lessened and the paint flat. If you are painting a glossy kit, future will bring back the shine, if the paint was flat then it will be really flat.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 10:49 PM UTC
One more thing you can try to prevent those ridges is to remove the masking tape when the paint is still wet (after an hour or so with enamels). The paint should level out when done correctly.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 01:35 AM UTC
Hi, I've been masking some areas of a Panther in order to replicate the 'dazzle' winter whitewash pattern I've recently discovered. Like you, when I pulled the tape off I was left with those nastly little ridges of paint from the build-up of the 'whitewash' color. My hobby shop dealer recommended a Tri-Grit Premium Sanding stick to cure this. The sick itself-#30505- is an ultra fine grit stick with three grit patterns to it. By taking the finest two sections of grit, I have been able to remove these 'dams' of paint with no damage to the paints underneath. And thusly have really nice flat edges. Of course I have the occasionally 'run' under the tape, but have been able to just used a fine brush and touch this up as well. And once the paint is cured for a day or so, I agian used this very fine side of the stick to 'sand' the area down, once again, with no damage to the paints underneath, so far.

At least this particular method has worked for me on this project.

Good luck and take care, Sgirty
 _GOTOTOP