_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Air brush and compressor help!!!
savigabi
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 08:16 AM UTC
Hi, Im new here and need some help please. Ok, I have the aztek a4709 airbrush and just got the testors blue mini air compressor and I cant figure out how to hook it up, I have tried the little adaptor that the airbrush came with but it didnt work. I really need to know how to get these things connected. Thanks in advance.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 08:21 AM UTC
I also have the 4709. But I didn't have any problem attaching it to my compressor. I have a larger compressor to use for house painting etc. In my set I got a grey or silver adapter that attached the airbrush hose to the 1/4" fitting to the compressor. Are you using this adapter?
savigabi
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 08:23 AM UTC
No, it came with a black adaptor.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 08:24 AM UTC
Okay maybe the color doesn't matter, but is it an adapter for the hose-size fitting to a larger fitting?
savigabi
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 08:25 AM UTC
yes
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 08:42 AM UTC
Welcome to the site!!! Sorry for just jumping in on the question, glad you found your way to us!

That is interesting, you seemingly have everything to hook every thing together. What size fitting do you have on the compressor? Is it smaller? Maybe the airbrush hose fits on the compressor directly??? If that is not the solution you might have to go back to where you bought the compressor and ask for some type of adapter... Sorry but I am unfamiliar with the compressor.
savigabi
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 08:49 AM UTC
Well, its says it has a 1/4 npt fitting on it and I tried just pluging the hose directly in the fitting but still nothing. Its smaller than the adaptor that came with the airbrush.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 08:59 AM UTC
I just went to the Testor's site and just saw what you said about the 1/4" fitting. I went and got my hose for my airbrush and what I noticed is that the hose has a very small fitting on one end to attach the airbrush to and a large silver adapter on the other end. The black adapter is screwed into that one, with the other end of the black adapter fitting on to the 1/4" fitting.

What type of hose do you have? Did you buy the all-in-kit??
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 09:02 AM UTC
Welcome to the site

In looking at a picture on the internet is "should" be as easy as getting an adapter that will fit the threaded air exit pipe at the top of the mini blue. If the ones you have received with the miniblue and the aztec don't "mate" I'd go to the local hardware store with them and look in the plumbing section for a 'size adapter' or 'size converter'

savigabi
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 09:19 AM UTC
I have the hose that came with the air brush, I dont have the kit but I kind of wish I did now, anyway I will go down to ace hardware and find some kind of adaptor or fitting and see if that works.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 09:28 AM UTC
From what I understand of the kit, you have all of the different parts of the kit.

I've been living in Sweden so long that I've sort of forgotten English measurements. My guess is that the black, "middle" adapter is not needed. If the hose you have with your 4709 is exactly like mine, the black adapter is to make the hose fit on a 1/2" fitting. I use a quick adapter to my compressor which uses the larger fitting.

Otherwise I'm sorry, I've run out of ideas...
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 01:27 PM UTC
hi there savigabi...

i have the aztek 4709 set..the adaptor supplied in the box is meant for propellant can
so if want to connect it to a compressor (i dont know about testors' seris of compressor), u have to cut the end of the hose loose....

then u have to connect an adaptor to the compressor and then connect it to the hose..juts like i did.....
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 02:44 PM UTC
If the hardware store cannot help you with the fittings, try an auto parts store as they have air compressors, accessories and adapters.

Sealhead
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 249 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 05:21 AM UTC
i would return that mini blue compressor, i had one for about ohh five to ten min. of use and it did not give me the pressures i wanted.

you can get a nice 2gal. compressor over at home depot or lowes for 79.99 and you can use it to fill car tires. its great
riffraff247
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 34 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 10:42 AM UTC
I didn't read every word of every post on this thread, but personally I use Testor's model #8826-
It uses the Aztek nozzles (single action, gravity feed) Not bad for $20 bucks at Wally-World. Of course, I do have to thoruoghly clean the nozzles after every use. (springs, needles and housings)
Back to the topic- I use a Husky compressor, I'm not sure how the Aztec hose comes, but mine came with a propellant can adapter fixed on the end. It also came with an adapter for a compressor, so the hose on #8826 has a prop. can adapter on the end, which I connected the compressor adapter to. I then attached 1/4" male connector to the AB hose and a female to the compressor hose, so I can use the other attachments, such as the blower and tire inflation nozzle, etc., etc. I noticed somone suggested returning the "Blue" comp. I was thinking of buying one of these at one time, but I decided to buy something I could use for other things besides airbrushing. I hope this helps a little. -Cheers
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2004 - 03:32 AM UTC
I did sóme airbrushing this weekend and to my surprise I found two adapters in my 4709 kit. This second adapter was chromed metal, whereas the other adapter is a rubber/plastic compound. This chromed adapter is different than the silver adapter I was taling about.

How have things worked out for you and your setup??
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2004 - 04:43 AM UTC

Did you get a hose like the one pictured above? The small end on the right should screw right into your AB. The large end on the left has a 1/4 pipe thread on the interior and should screw right onto the compressor. The hose is made by Testors and you should be able to pick one up just about anywhere.

HTH,
Shaun
savigabi
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 05:12 AM UTC
Im gonna go pick that hose up and see if it helps.
thanks for the help. :-)
 _GOTOTOP