_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Cam nets WW2 British
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 727 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 02:50 AM UTC
Ok I have gauze, I have cam netting from various sources on the parts shelf (VP and such) but its just netting. Did the British camoflague netting consist of nets or was it netting with strips of cloth etc in it?

When I was Canadian Militia we had old style ones which were like tight weave fishing net (back in mid 80s and newer loose weave with plastic strips attached to it. I know this was the 1980s but we had gear in stores going back to WW2 including the rebarrelled 30 cals (changed to fire 7.62 nato ammo).

I am hoping to finish my Overlord entry this weekend and I want to add some cam nets to the Cromwell. Uusure what is best and also how to make them look best.

Any advice on making them and also on what I should use is appreciated. Thanks.

Rob
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 02:55 AM UTC
it was called hessian tape netting,

it consisted of the usual netting, with fabric strips of various lengths attached at various points. to make it;

get some masking tape and cut it into strips. the length and thickness doesnt need to be precise.

glue your strips randomly on the netting, ensuring it it frre to drape down,

paint or dye it with a green colour, fix to your model (in real life wire or ropes were threaded through) and drybrush to give a neice faded look

cheers

joe
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 08:26 AM UTC
There's a good article about hessian tape nets over on Missing Lynx. Here's the link, http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/britain/emhess/hessian.htm
 _GOTOTOP