_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Really dumb Q, but need answers.....
Longshanks
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:22 AM UTC
Hi all.

Ok what I'm about to ask may seem really dumb, but hey........

As stated on another topic, I'm doing a 1/35 panther G knocked out from an old kit.
The problem is that I need to replicate convincing Shell holes in the Turret and side armour. Dent's and scrapes arn't so much of a problem but the holes are.....

Does anyone know what size shell would be needed to knock out a Panther G or any other incident for that matter...(Especially Russian Front...)

and how to replicate them to a convincing standard and what size would they be in 1/35?

I'm having trouble copying the pictures and practice material to do it on.......and it's pretty much cruch time......

ANY help would be welcome......

Thanks in advance....

Longshanks.......
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:43 AM UTC
I got not answers but I have a couple pictures, hope I help

Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:51 AM UTC
hey there Captain! i noticed your having problems with holes...
for the size of the hole, i guess it would be okay if you looked at the size of a russian gun barrell, since the shell and barrell have about the same diameter.
and for how to do them, i have a neat and easy trick i use.
youll need the following: 1needle, 1 candle, and an old tank/ aircraft to practice on would help a gr8 deal.
all you need to do is heat up the needle over the candle being careful not to burn yourself. once the pin gets red, take it of the flame, let it cool until it turns back to its original color, then simply poke your tank with it. you will notice some excess plastic that formed around the hole, simple scrap it off with a knife
now the reason why you would want an old tank/ aircraft to practice on if because there are complicated variables in this process ( at least there complicated for me :-)) you have to watch out for the thickness of the plastic, size of the pin and the temperature of the pin.
ex. a small and warm needle will work just as well on a thick plastic than a bigger, and colder needle would.
now, it isnt so hard to do, realy. and it made miracles for me and i hope it will for you!
there are also a few neet things you can do after your hole is done ,depending on how you want your hole to be, so experement and try new things !
Cheers and i hope i was of any help
Frank The Tank
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:53 AM UTC
I take a match and cut off the matchhead. I place the matchhead where I want the hole to be. Then I light the head and let it flare. Don't let it burn too long. 2 seconds is about good. It will give you a nice little dent and burn. Then I use a drill and a small bit and SLOWLY drill a hole right through the middle of the burned section. Don't drill fast or the friction will melt the plastic and make funny shapes. The size of the drill bit you can roughly math to the inner diameter of the barrel. Voila! Instant shellhole and you don't even have to paint!

You can use the same technique to imitate shell hits that did not penetrate. Just don't drill them out.
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 11:35 AM UTC
I'm not sure about the size, but the way I usually do it you can make just about any size you want to fit to scale. Drill a tiny hole, then take your ex-acto knife with standard (triangular) blade and twist it in the hole. As you twist, the blade edge will scrape the edges and give you a ragged finish. If you tilt the blade a little as you twist you can indicate the direction the hit came from. Here's what it looks like on a jeep.

Art

Longshanks
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:38 PM UTC
Thanks guys, I'll give these tecniques a go tonight..........

I won't be on the net for a while so i'll let you know what happens.................

Cheers...........
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 10:44 PM UTC
hi,

bear in mind, most hits do not produce perfectly round holes, metal melts just the same as plastic, so when a KE round hits it, it often melts the metal around the hole, often resuliting in warpage around the penetration hole.

push a hot needle through the plastic, then use plenty of pigments or pastels to create the smoke and burned effects

cheers

joe
 _GOTOTOP