_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Problem with some pieces
Vegetius
Visit this Community
Italy
entire network: 21 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 04:24 PM UTC
Hi all!

I'm having some troubles scratch-building some pieces for my KV2.

Do you know those triangles which help the fenders being up? Just over the lateral fenders... so I have to make them from scratch, but the question is: how do I make 10 of them perfectly similar? Without differences?

I tried using plasticard 0.13mm but it tends to bend when cut with cutter... what can I do?

Thanks all in advance for any help!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 06:58 PM UTC
Don't know if this is what you are looking for but here goes
http://www.sura.ru/~tam/english/afv/KV-1_p1.htm

http://www.sura.ru/~tam/english/afv/KV-2_p1.htm

first one is Kv1 second one is Kv2
and Ciao from america

My idea would be to stick them together with double stick tape as many as you can at a time then sand or file to size seperate with single edge razor blade then make the next bunch and do the same. then one final check to see if they are all the same. Or make one and cast the rest but as they are small most likely would break when cleaning up. Just a few suggestions
And welcome fellow Italian Brother my grandma was born in Sicily Salute
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 07:37 PM UTC
sgtreef is right on the mark - you need to temporarily make them one big block. I don't know the part you are making but if there is any way to stack them up, drill a hole down through them all and put in a guide wire. Then work with them as a unit. I would recommend cutting them a bit large and slowly sanding them down to fit.
Here's a brain storm - get the 10 cut close to size (a bit big) glue them in place and them with a file that can cover each side of the AFV sand them down together on the vehicle.

Just some thoughts. Practice and patience are the key.
Vegetius
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 12:05 AM UTC
Ok, tank you very much, I'll try to realize them in group.

Best regards!
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 05:03 AM UTC
Hola.
make one part and then make a silicone mold and pour resin castings and voila! You have as many exact parts as you will ever need!!!
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 06:12 PM UTC
flat parts can best be made in bulk, more complicated parts can best be copied in resin. Best would be with a silicone mold, but even a rubber or plastiscine mold may do for simple parts.
Vegetius
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 08:37 PM UTC
Hello!

I thought about resin copy too, but the problem is that they must be very very thin, and also they have a very difficult shape... they are triangles with 90° angle and with a small triangle inside, which is vacuum... pratically a triangular-hole inside them...

I thought about photoetch them, like PE sets... is here anyone who, using a mater, can make a PE set of these??
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 760 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 12:28 AM UTC
If it ends up being more hassle than it is worth to make them, a number of companies have photo-etch sets available for the KV2. Ace, Airwaves, Eduard, and On the Mark Models all make sets that would work. The Eduard set is probably the easiest to obtain and is very nice.
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 275 Posts
KitMaker Network: 95 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 12:44 AM UTC
I built this model about 10 years ago and ran into the same problem. I ended up making each support individually (I was underway on a sub for 7 months so I had nothing better to do in my free time). It took a lot of time and effort and in hindsight, it was impossible to make them all exactly the same. Today , I would either get the photo-etch set or make a master and cast the parts. Making them en masse is also a proven method.

Good Luck!
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 11:37 AM UTC
Ciao Vegetius,

here's an idea, go out to the kitchen or local food store.....

buy a Pepsi (or Coke), open it, and drink it down.......

Now, take some shears and cut the top and bottom of the can, with a slice up the length......

Then, you have a real sturdy sheet metal to cut a strip or part. Just take a .20 or .3 sheet to make a jig and then cut with a fresh knife on an acrylic surface (cuts and keeps the blade sharper longer).

Hope this helps,
Dave
Vegetius
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 03:43 PM UTC
Thank you very much again!

I'll try something soon and let you know the results...

For COB: is that for Chief Of the Boat? Did you serve/ed really on US subs? I'm really excited about that... I love reading Partick Robinson and Tom Clancy's romances... you know, here in Italy we've got just some little diesels...

Sorry for the Off-Topic...

Best regards,
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 275 Posts
KitMaker Network: 95 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 07:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you very much again!

I'll try something soon and let you know the results...

For COB: is that for Chief Of the Boat? Did you serve/ed really on US subs? I'm really excited about that... I love reading Partick Robinson and Tom Clancy's romances... you know, here in Italy we've got just some little diesels...

Sorry for the Off-Topic...

Best regards,

Yes it does stand for Chief of the Boat. I have served on Subs since 1978. 3 attack boats and 1 boomer where I was COB. Don't underestimate the capabilities of "little diesel boats" ,they can be a tough and very capable opponent when used properly.
 _GOTOTOP