_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
cleaning paint bottles?
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 817 Posts
KitMaker Network: 148 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 02:35 PM UTC
How do you guys clean bottles, pipettes etc that have been used to hold or measure thinner. In other words how do you get rid of thinner from stuff so it doesn't smell. A handy hand wash would also be useful any suggestions?
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 12:54 AM UTC
Hey there Padrino.....
I usually clean my bottles and the pipettes real good with thinner and wipe off with a paper towel. After I clean them with thinner, I stick them in a sink of hot soapy water and wash them with dish detergent and rinse them out real good. I then let them air dry in the drain board. That's how I clean them..... HTH.... #:-) #:-) #:-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 01:14 AM UTC
Ladymodelbuilder has it. Warm soapy water, fill'em up let'em sit, wipe, rinse dry.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 06:47 AM UTC
I don't worry to much about pipettes but for bottles after I soak them in appropriate cleaner I put them in the dishwasher. They come out nice and clean and ready to be used again.

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 08:16 AM UTC
Being blessed with a covered balcony, everything that smells, goes there over night. Using enamels and oils all the time and having a year old baby, some things have a priority.
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 08:01 PM UTC
Hey bro,

For me, I do not worry about the pippets. They come ina bag of about ten, and are disposable.

For the bottles, if it was acrylic paint, off to the sink and plenty of soapy water with a brush. For enaml based paint, I have a waste recepicle in the garage (where I do the airbrushing) that collects the rinsate from the turpinoid or other thinner. After the major portion is out, I wash with soapy water as well.

Dave
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 06:57 AM UTC
I wish I could say the same Dave, but I live about 2 hrs from the nearest hobby shop, and don't get down that way often. I have to clean them....
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 11:12 AM UTC
Penny,

The pipets I use are a disposable that can be ordered from any of the following:

Hobby shops
Hardware Stores
Medical Supply Stores
Internet
Internet
Internet

So, why waste the time, buy several packets and store them!

BTW, one hour to the nearest hobby shop myself!

Dave #:-)
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 05:23 AM UTC
I just set mine in paint thinner for about an hour, then wash them out in the laundry tub, and any paint still on the sides, I use either a hobby knife, or my fingernail, it works fine for me. Then air dry for a night.
mihaip
Visit this Community
Romania
entire network: 45 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 03, 2002 - 03:42 PM UTC
I clean enamels with White spirt - not s strong as a real thinner ur turpentine but it does its job as long as the paint is not two days old and its mell is not so strong.
Then a extrawash dem with dish detergent and leave them outside on the balcony overnight.

A also use disposable plastic seringes (5 mm) for measuring/dripping aint and thinner. They are easy to clean and very easy to dispose
 _GOTOTOP