_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
How to cut small circles in plastic
ekaufman
Visit this Community
Haifa, Israel
entire network: 217 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 01:16 PM UTC
How can i cut small circles in plstic, like lightning holes in a metal frame etc, i know there are those expensive punch & die sets. but i'm still not that involved in scrathbuilding to allow myself to shell out about 80$ on that. is there any workaround ?
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 760 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 07:52 PM UTC
You could buy some small plastic rod and cut little pieces off of the end with a hobby knife. Or you could stretch sprue and do the same thing. These methods work pretty well and are definately much cheaper than buying a punch and die set.

HTH
Tanks
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 30 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 10:31 PM UTC
If you actually want holes a pin vice drill is the answer. It is possible to drill minute holes with one of these.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 760 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 10:36 PM UTC
I misread your question. When you mentioned a punch and die set I thought that you were talking about cutting circles of extra plastic to add to your model not actually creating a hole in your model.

What about using a rotary tool or small drill. I have a Dremel and a set of 20 (I think) very small scale drill bits made by X-Acto. They work wonderfully for drilling tiny holes into the model, hollowing out machine gun barrels, etc.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 - 11:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you actually want holes a pin vice drill is the answer. It is possible to drill minute holes with one of these.

I think the answer is as simple and cheap as this.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 - 06:09 PM UTC
A drill would be your answer to make holes in a model.
Punch é die sets only allow you to make holes in plastic sheet, not in complete models or model parts.

Armor135
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 335 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 11:44 AM UTC
I donr know how small of holes you want but if you want them pretty small you can heat a needle over a flame and stick it through the plastic. For larger holes just like the other guys said, you can use a Dremel, small Drill, or get a knife with a pointy blade and twist it with your hand until you have a hole. Pratice on a other model first

Hope this helps,
Mike
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2002 - 10:51 AM UTC
Drill bits are the way to go and can be bought from many sources. You might want to talk to you dentist or if you know someone in a dental lab. the us some bits that that will allow you to reem out a small hole as well .
Josh weingarten
aKa shiryon
Deacon
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 45 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2002 - 11:10 AM UTC
As sone other noted, I am not sure how small of hole you are needing. But I do this alot for making holes or making plastic disc's of just about any size. I use a real good compass. I replace the pencil portion with a needle in the holder and simply cut the circle out that wat. I have made cupola rings for a 1/87 th scale West German Jaguar 2. They turned out rather nice. Also use this same deal to make small discs to block in open backed boogie wheels. It has alot of uses really.

Hope something works out!

Best Wishes
Deacon
Abrams101
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 146 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 06:49 AM UTC
I think deacon has the Idea If you want to cut out the hole without loosing the disk you cut out . you could also put a hobbie knofe were the pencil would be too , and just spin spin spin. #:-)
Abrams101
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 146 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2002 - 02:29 PM UTC
Hey ya know I just found out today that with thin styreen you can use a hole puncher. and when i was at the craft store before I remember seeing a bunch of hole punchers of diferent shapes stars . . .nah, tryangles. . .maybee, squares. . .aahhhh o.k. ( Ideas start to flow like a majestic waterfall gaining more power as it reaches its final destination.) boy am i tired.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 05, 2002 - 09:04 PM UTC
Look in a crafts store in the leatherworking section for a rotary punch. Looks like a pair of pliers with a wheel on one side with different sized hole punches. The one I picked up has holes from 2mm to 4mm.
HTH
 _GOTOTOP