_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
question on paints
sk0l
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 05:44 AM UTC
I used to do hardcore modeling when I was a kid.. I'm mainly only intrested in german armor, figures and the like.

I used to use Tamiya Color back then and it was ok, I'm looking to buy paints (now that I'm getting back into modeling) and I'm out of the loop as to who or what to buy.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what brand of paint to get? I'm not partial to anything for being out of the loop for so long.

Thanks
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 06:45 AM UTC
You are fine using tamiya paints they are still very mainstream in the modelling comunity..I also like the gunze range of acrylics . I still use humbrol and Model Master enamels for the weathering part along with artist oils ... Hey as long as you are comfortable with your paints ..go for it !
Oh by the way ...welcome back to the mad world of Modelling!!

Rick
steve203
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 579 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 08:27 AM UTC
I like the Model Master and Poly Scale. Both are made by Testors. I have started buying most of my paint online straight from Testors. It is always in stock and you get a fresh jar that hasn't been sitting on a shelf for a year or more. Here is their web site. http://www.testors.com/ You can look at and order all their paints.
Aitch
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 138 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 08:54 AM UTC
It depends on when you were a kid - If you last modelled about twenty years ago then the newer Tamiya acrylics are pretty good, they dry quickly, dilute down with water for washes and cover well - the only problems are that sometimes they dry too fast - so no chance to dry brush with them.
I use Tamiya acrylics for base coat, and detail with humbrol emamels - seems to work well.
Welcome back to the mad house
sk0l
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 10 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 10:18 AM UTC
thanks for the reponses, I'll pickup some more of the Tamiya color and humbrol.
Longshanks
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 10:24 AM UTC
Personally I'd say Humbrol are your best bet
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 10:59 AM UTC
I use tamiya for spraying only. All my brush painting is made with humbrol enamels and oils. This works for me and Im comfartable. But I do have paints by others as well. I like to pick up a few by every producer to see for myself what they are like, or if they have that perfect colour Ive been looking for. What works for one person can be difficult for another. When you find your own style, you´ll usually have a paint type that you prefer. Theres no perfect paint, they all have their advantages.
Some guys on here, have amazing results with cheap hobby acrylics and games workshop paints.
sgmsoldier
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 3 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 04:39 PM UTC
if your near fayetteville? go to hayes hobby house in eutaw shopping center. they have a great club that meets there. on has an ipms #13 they are glad to see new people.
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 389 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 08:01 PM UTC
Humbrol paints took place on my and my fathers(who is in this hobby for more than 25 years) workbench from the beginning.
rjray
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 230 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 08:18 PM UTC
I'm a very devout follower of the Temple of Testor's Model Master. But I also use Humbrol in cases where they have the best color match. And for my figurine work, I've been getting more and more fond of Vallejo acrylics, the better I get at controlling them.

Randy
 _GOTOTOP