Trouble with decals?
Why Flat Finish To Decals????
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 02:10 AM UTC
I'm Here to Gripe to the Kit manufacturers!!! This is the first time in ages since going back to Aircraft I used the kit decals, (Hasagawa's 1/32nd FW 190 A-8) and I noticed after apply ing the gloss to the kit and Placing my First decal that the Finish on the decal is flat!!!! Since when did this start???? My Taqmiya spit had Gloss decals that need a flat coat. Also the Majority of the AM decals I use have at least a Semi-gloss finish. Why do they nw have a flat finish. EVEN THE CLEAR CARRIER FILM IS FLAT!!!!! Someone please please SHOOT ME!!!!!!! OK GRIPE DONE!
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 03:06 AM UTC
Hi Stug, I think it just varies from kit to kit. I've found that it doesn't really make a diference as they still need a smooth surface to be applied to, [especially things like serial numbers with the film between them] so that it reduces the chance of silvering and allows the decals to get a good bond. So I still coat the kit with future or gloss varnish and after the decals are completed coat the kit with matt varnish.
What annoys me is the way some decals react well with decal agents and others from the same sheet wrinkle like mad and won't smooth out even with more decal agent applied. I've found this problem mainly with Tamiya kits on the larger decals. Someone I know suggested diluting the micro sol but never said what with.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 11:58 AM UTC
Martin you brought up another Soft point with Kit supplied decals. The Solvent disentigrating of Tamiya's decal. But it only happens to me with their A/C kits. Wonder if anyone from the big guys will see this. BTW the Decals didn't silver on the FW190, but that flat finish made it hard to tell if the y were going to or not!!! We need to get the Manufacturers to notice this area of concern. STUG
 _GOTOTOP