_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Donating dio to muesem.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 1,017 Posts
KitMaker Network: 189 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 01:39 PM UTC
We're getting an veterans museum in my area I 'm not sure what all it will have on display. But I was thinking about seeing if I could display some of dio's there but I'm not sure on how to approach the owners of the museum I have confidence in my work but that may be different in others eyes. I know my work is not museum quality but maybe people would enjoy seeing scale models as well as pictures and memorabilia. How would you folks approach this.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 01:42 PM UTC
Do what I did and approach the curater/chairperson or what ever and show them a sample of your work and explain what you wish to do. This is what I have done with a museum near my home for my models.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 01:55 PM UTC
Hey MROO, How did they react. Did you have youre own display case for the dio.
rjray
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 230 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 02:24 PM UTC
First off, if I may ask, what part of Oklahoma is this new memorial/museum going to be? I'm a native Okie living in California, and I go back to visit my family once or twice a year, always making sure to visit one or both of the 45th ID Museum or Ft. Sill.

The first thing to find out, i.e. ask about, is whether they anticipate having room for this sort of display. The 45th set up several showcases, as did the Kirkpatrick Air and Space Museum in OKC (I still have 4-5 models in various displays at the Kirkpatrick Center). If so, I imagine they'll be happy to have yours, even if you're not up to Shep Paine's level :-). Museums understand the value of having good, relevant material on display. Even if they have limited space, you might look into a smaller display area with rotating contents. This would be extra effective if there are other modelers in the general area as willing and interested in contributing as you are.

Randy (6 years in Denver, 6 years in San Jose, and I still occassional let slip a "Y'all"...)
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 03:13 PM UTC
Hey rjray, Im down in the southeast corner Idabel to be exact. I have been to the kirkpatric center several times tried to take pictures of the displays but to much glare what did you have in there show room I probably remember them. Would like to share the work in that place to our folks here really nice stuff. You have made some good points for me to think about the building not very big Im waitng for it to open must not be to much funding its been over a year since it started being built.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 03:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do what I did and approach the curator/chairperson or what ever and show them a sample of your work and explain what you wish to do. This is what I have done with a museum near my home for my models.

Ditto what Cliff has said. I have many models and Dio's on display at the Military Transportation Museum. I don't know if your museum will pay you for them as most that I have dealt with can only accept donated items.
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 03:45 PM UTC
I just went to the San Diego aerospace museum, and hell, they had like 100+ models in display, and the best thing was that some weren't even that good, what I mean is that quality is not much of an issue for them. Also, being a new museum lacking material to display, I think they will probably love you for it! good luck
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 06:52 PM UTC
It helps as well if the items that you offer them are relevant to the theme of the museum - in other words if it is a (for example) 3rd US Armoured Div. museum, try to offer them vehicles used by that div.
I've had three models placed in collections in the UK, two have the regiments markings and one is of an action that they were present at.
 _GOTOTOP