History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
The German Army and Medals
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 10:03 AM UTC
A long while back I posed this question, but never really received a "good" answer.

Why did German Soldiers were their medals/badges into combat? Wearing the Knights Cross with Diamonds would be equal to wearing a Medal of Honor into the fight.

Also, the medals/badges made for good booty too - so many German soldiers who were heavily badged may have been shot out of hand simple for their hardware.

I have heard one reason for the medals/badges on the combat uniforms is due to the fact the German Army only had one uniform, unlike the US which had fatigues and class A's.

Anyone out there have a reason why???
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 10:18 AM UTC
I don't have an answer for you only that it is a cultural thing. Americans, typically, are very shy about their awards. I've heard of marine corps Medal of Honor winners having to be ordered to wear their medals, even on their dress uniform.
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 10:26 AM UTC
Hi GS Patton,my Father in Law was a RM Commando in WW2,and he came back with a load of badges and medals,most of which i now have,he took three medals off one German officer,and apparently asked him why he wore them,this guy was a veteren of WW1,and said,because i earned them,this is who i am.Allied pesonel wore a ribbon to show their decorations,but the German army was just that bit diffirent in their approach to moral, and building of regimental pride.Just my pennys worth.
Arthur
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 02:02 PM UTC
A lot of what the German soldiers wore were badges for special skills or for special feat. They were, as stated above, The Soldier. They showed his fellow soldiers what he was and what he had done. I would fing wearing a medal on a ribbon around my neck in the field very uncomfortable. I only wear my "dog tags" because it is a requirement. Many modern armies wear sew-on versions of their awards and qualifications (airborne & air assualt wings, pilot winds, tank crew qualification badges (which in UA Army we can no wear on BDUs) EIB & CIB, etc.

The Germans have a tradition of such badges going back to at least the Napoleanic Wars, if not to Frederick the Great.