_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Scratchbuilt locomotive...work continues
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 651 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 02:40 PM UTC
Well, I've gotten some more work done on this baby-more acces panels, pipes, handles, headlight, hinges, and latches. I have also started building the wheels..let me know what you think or suggest. Thanks! More pics in gallery

DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 03:11 PM UTC
wow, completely scratchbuilt? huh? But I do have a comment for you though, the door looks kind of crooked, like it is bigger in the bottom than at the top, also the handles look kind of offset and different in size. I feel nothing but admiration for such a work, how are you going to do the wheels?
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 04:59 PM UTC
I like the door hardware, I think I might mimic some of your techniques. I have to agree with Dragon about your doorway "eyeball". seems a little out of skew. Overall, I have to give you a big HOORAH for your patience, ambition and skill. Looks good!!!
Cuhail
APbullet
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
entire network: 236 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 08:34 PM UTC
That's coming along nicely, mighty impressive work on this one. But I have to agree with the others, check your measurings because there are some flaws in the design, like the door, the hatches at the front and some hinges that are hanging at a different angle then others.
I know it's easier said then done and I'm complementing you for your effort. But take a look at some details and it will be even more impressive then it is allready.

cheers,

Wouter
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 09:33 PM UTC
Just a question on this incredibly impressive work...How are you going to do the wheels? Now the bodywork is impressive, but the thing that would REALLY scare me, would be the production of the wheels....Jim
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 10:06 PM UTC
and the scratching keeps going on . well done so far my friend. some more care maybe should be taken in getting parallel lines together right in some hatches and door positioning but youre a guy with big - huge patience
bravo
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 11:48 AM UTC
Go for it! Gutsy project. Unless you want 100% scratchbuilt, or if the scale won't work, there are some terrific lost wax brass castings at good model RR stores.

Sealhead
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 10:54 AM UTC
jimbrae- not much of the wheels will actually be visible. I am making them out of plastic card as well. Circles, then a flange halfway around (at the bottom), then spokes. When they are complete, I will build trucks for them, and mount them under the locomotive. with a little hope, and MUCH luck, it will work out!
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 12:05 PM UTC
You are doing a fantastic job on this. Keep at it. You have been bitten very hard and you know that it will be hard to go back and build out of the box now. Thanks for sharing the progress with us.
 _GOTOTOP