_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modern model Site
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
entire network: 2,264 Posts
KitMaker Network: 254 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 01:14 PM UTC
Would like to know if anyone knows of a good dedicated modern armor model site show-casing modern day models?
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 01:54 PM UTC
Maybe we could make this site to be one!

Toni
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 09:35 PM UTC
We've probably got as good a reference site for modern US armor as anyone on the net. Why don't you submit some photos of modern kits and help us build up our gallery?
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

We've probably got as good a reference site for modern US armor as anyone on the net. Why don't you submit some photos of modern kits and help us build up our gallery?

That's right Sabot. I fully agree.

I like it when people think in a constructive manner !
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 04:40 AM UTC
I do have quite a few that I have built. I'm getting digital camera tomorrow . In fact I will post a link to the site I have setup as soon as I get it registered. But it seems that older military armor such as WW2 and even older are the norn every where one looks. I'm not a fan of older generation prototypes so please don't hate me. Just a preference thing, you know. Any way, I've enjoyed looking at all models and one reasonfor that is to admire the realism that all of you have accomplished. Truely amazing work. I'm a beginner hoping to achieve the same results as all of those on theis site. I'll post the link when I'm registered.
Sabot
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 07:02 AM UTC
I've built up a photo album of a couple hundred photos of military vehicles: Major Rob's Motorpool. Take a look at the equipment I have. All the photos were taken by me with modelers in mind. My goal is to have walk around type detail shots of the more esoteric vehicles in the gallery. With the new Super HET model coming out, I've probably got some of the best shots of the actual vehicle around. Plus I have the ability to go back and take more shots at my leisure. The downside to my motorpool album is that it is strictly modern US Army equipment. The plus side is if you build modern stuff, you have someone available to snap a quick shot of any vehicle I have sitting out in my motorpool. Good thing a lot of allies use US equipment.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 07:55 AM UTC
Absolutely superb idea Envar! And I think (yeah, I know you're not supposed to start a sentence with the word 'And') that Sabot, aka, Rob, should be the 'guidon' in this endeavor. He has not only submitted and supplied some of the most USEFUL photos for everyone. But he has( yeah, I know, using the word 'But' at the beginning of the sentence is marginal as well) been the 'soothsayer' as well as the 'naysayer' in more situations than I can count!!

What say you all???........

Tread.

P.S. Rob, please don't hate me. I just think you're the best man for the job!!
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 110 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 09:47 AM UTC
Actually its okay to to start a sentence with the word "and" as long as its a complete sentence, and not a fragment.

Sorry I'm bored #:-)
Sundown
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 67 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would like to know if anyone knows of a good dedicated modern armor model site show-casing modern day models?

Matt has a good site up with lots of modern armor subjects...my favorite is his M110A2.

http://www.kithobbyist.com/AFVInteriors/fullmetal/fullmet.html

sy
ponysoldier
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 223 Posts
KitMaker Network: 83 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 10:49 AM UTC
First off welcome to site I cannot think of a finer site for a beginner, or for military
modeler. Help if you need is just a post away, and this gallery is among the
finest anywere.

ponysoldier

The Horse The Gun The Man
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 12:53 PM UTC
Welcome to the freindliest if not best thinktank for tanks(and just about any other modelling subject) While I think your Idea of a special site is great, I think the diversity of The sites adds to the amount of photos avilable to be published. Costs for maintainig photos for download can lead to bankrupcy. So if you don't see what you need, just ask, someone will probably find it for you and put it up. :-)

Josh Wingarten
aKa shiryon
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 01:32 PM UTC
Several have already said this, but I don't think you will find a better site than this one. I personally think this is the best modern site available...
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 06:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Absolutely superb idea Envar! And I think (yeah, I know you're not supposed to start a sentence with the word 'And') that Sabot, aka, Rob, should be the 'guidon' in this endeavor. He has not only submitted and supplied some of the most USEFUL photos for everyone. But he has( yeah, I know, using the word 'But' at the beginning of the sentence is marginal as well) been the 'soothsayer' as well as the 'naysayer' in more situations than I can count!!

What say you all???........

Tread.

P.S. Rob, please don't hate me. I just think you're the best man for the job!!

Hey listen Thread you can start with the word AND anytime you want to I do it all the time

Oh YES I second that onROB as the man. bet that dude must have just about every model made . And then some{see I started with an AND Thread}
after returning after a layoff of about 10 or so years this site is my main reason to keep on going even when I say goosh darn it this piece of little Crappy PE is busting my balls,but no I continue on because I know somebody else on this site is saying the same thing about the same time
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2002 - 10:56 PM UTC
Thanks to all and your comments. I really love this site. Lots of goodies to choose from. I think I'm going to have one heck of a great time, especially with people like yourselfs. Peace!
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,218 Posts
KitMaker Network: 325 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 06:44 AM UTC
Welcome to the site ti !!!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 07:49 AM UTC
Many thx leader and Jeff for the 'grammatical' support!

Tread.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 05:45 AM UTC
I myself am new (well back from a 15 year break) at modeling and focus on modern/desert storm era armor. I have looked for for modern armor sites also. although I have never found one thats only modern armor I have found more of it here than anywhere and as plus I have always been able to get all the help I need. Don't be affraid to ask questions either. I would say that half of my 400 posts have been questions.
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 07:27 AM UTC
Just curious though. Why areb ther so few modern sites? Why is almost everyone mainly interested in WW I or WW II armor so much? Every site you see is either pertaing to this type of era.
LUCKYBULLET
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 44 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 09:17 PM UTC
hi
i'm new here (just registered today...) and i'm mostly building modern model and i've found a few modern site on the net,seem like modern stuff is less popular...but this site IS the most complete i've found so why not contribute to the modern section to make it THE reference for modern model on the net!!!! :-)
Sabot
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 09:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just curious though. Why areb ther so few modern sites? Why is almost everyone mainly interested in WW I or WW II armor so much? Every site you see is either pertaing to this type of era.

Availability. Check your local stores out. They have more German WW2 armor, half-tracks and soft skins than any other group. Next would be US armor (WW2-modern), then Soviet and finally an all others (modern German, all Japanese, etc.). There is such a wide variety of WW2 German equipment. Modern equipment, on the other hand, is few and far between. Thankfully, DML, Italeri, Revell of Germany and Tamiya give us some good equipment. It wasn't until recent that modern soft skins like the M35A2, HEMTT and 5 tons hit the scene. Revell of Germany also started releasing some modern German equipment.
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, July 19, 2002 - 09:44 PM UTC
Thanks. just a couple of more days until I can upload my site. A bit nervous but excited at the same time. We'll sss what you all have to say. BTW, I didn't know there were lady modellers involved in this hobby. Not to sound stone age but it's usually not something women would be interested in. No offense ladies, I think it's wonderful. :-)
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 02:57 PM UTC
I have thought about this a little more. One thing I think is that most modeling sites focus on the art of model building more than a time period, country, or type of equipment (air, land, or sea.) Second, there are not a lot of people that limit there building to very specific types of armor exclusively. I stated earlier that modern armor is my favorite but I also build planes of WWII and modern era and I plan on building some star wars models and a ticonderoga in 1/350 scale in the future. Most modelers have there favorites but dabble in other areas and so do most sites.
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 09:41 PM UTC
You have a point. Nothing wrong with dabbling into another era. What a great hobby, don't you say?!
 _GOTOTOP