_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Decals?? Help please!
golani
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 11:57 AM UTC
How do i put decals on?? how do they work, if they are supposed to be like stickers, mine are defective
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 12:19 PM UTC
Hi Golani,
Most decals are of the type known as 'waterslide'. There should be instructions on how to apply them in the kit, but here's the way it usually works.
1) Apply a coat of gloss coat or varnish where the transfer is to go, and allow to dry
2) Cut around the outline of the decal, leaving as little extra as possible
3) Place the decal in warm water until it comes loose and will slide on the backing paper
4) Pick the decal on it's paper backing, from the water with a pair of tweezers, and slide it off onto the model.
5) Position it carefully into it's final place, and blot extra water with a tissue
6) When dry coat it with the final finish, either another coat of gloss or a coat of matt varnish.
If it's worked ok, then the decal will appear to be part of the paint scheme, and the clear film that the image is printed on will be invisible.
All of us have our favourite gloss/matt coats (varnishes). Over enamel (oil-based) paints I use Humbrol varnishes; over acrylic (water-based) paints I use Winsor & Newton artists acrylic varnishes.
golani
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
entire network: 9 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 12:21 PM UTC
Thank you Dave.
 _GOTOTOP