_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Thinned MM paints
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2004 - 03:08 PM UTC
Hi guys, a while ago I was trying to airbrush my brother's F-35, but the Model Master paint was so thinned, it just ran off the parts. I thought that the problem was, my airbrush was wet from the stuff I cleaned it with. I decided to wash it again and wait 3 weeks for it to dry. Today I tried airbrushing Model Master dark green straight from the bottle(no thinning) but got the same results. Has anybody had a similar problem, is there a way to fix this? I really liked MM, but now I am thinking of switching completly to Tamiya.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 07, 2004 - 04:09 PM UTC
I have never had a problem with Model Master Enamels. I have sprayed them from as thin as water and as thick as straight from the bottle. You may be using too much pressure and it is pooling and running off. It could also be whatever you are using to thin it down with. I use lacquer thinner without problems as well. I use MM Enamels exclusively and have had no problems.
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 03:11 AM UTC
Hi HeavyArty, you might be right about the pressure I will check it, but I have never had a similar problem with Tamiya or PolyScale. About the thinner, I have used none with the paints mentioned above. The paints (MM Acryl) were thinned too much from when I bought them.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 06:19 AM UTC
It may or may not be the pressure. I don't use acrylics. Don't really know anything about their charcteristics.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 07:19 AM UTC
I've had the same issue with the Acryl. Spray at a little lower pressure and you'll be ok or at least better off. Make sure the paint is good and stirred up as well.
Since I mainly do figures, the consistancy issue isn't too bad. The second and third coats stick real well. However, on something like an plane, the paint will pool and dry, thus runing the finish. My solution... no more planes! I hope you have better luck
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 09:13 PM UTC
Paul, the only thing I can think of is the age of the paint, and that must be pretty young paint you guys get over there, cause all the Testors I've ever bought, I had to thin it tremendously.
It has only been recent I ordered some Tamiya that just came in, and even still I had to thin it, but not as much as the ones as I had picked off the shelves, that had been setting there who knows how long.
All the Testors I have picked off the shelves now when I looked in the bottle, the paint had separated from the thinner completly, all the thinner was on top, and the paint was on the bottom, but a little shaking up, and a lot of thinning, then it was OK.
Have you ever tried to buy your paint at a place that doesn't sell so much paint, to what I was thinking, if you did that then you might get thick paint then, like I do.
Thats the only thing I can think of to why mine is always so thick. They get it in, somebody takes the top off and looks at it, then a year, or two later, I buy it.

Best Regards Kerry
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 10:12 PM UTC
i never had such problems with MM acrylics that i use 90 % of my colours. As said before extreme thinning is one cause and the possible other is high pressure . Check again your airbrush setting (maybe too lil paint comin out ) and use different sets till u see the results . Even straight from the bottle modelmasters due to their fine pigment produce a thin skin coat and if pressure is high it gets invisible. but i believe that theyre very good colours fo4r airbrushing. Tamiyas are thicker and not so fine i think

Costas
 _GOTOTOP