_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Where Do you buy online?
Tobar
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:54 AM UTC
Where do you buy you model supplys/kits online?
I thought I would make a recomendation for "Great Models"... I looked and looked as well as compared to several different sites, "Who had the better prices?"
The just a few weeks ago "Great Models" had a sale... " Boy did that sale ever !@#$%- off my wife She didn't know how much was spent until this "box" came in the mail. (..ie more like ice chest box....) I had a clear rational..... "IT WAS A SALE!!! "
"JUST LIKE WHEN YOU BUY SOMETHING AT THE MALL ON 15% DISCOUNT AND PUT IT ON THE CREDIT CARD AT ...... 18% INTREST!!!!"

I got what I wanted, most everything I've been wanting to make... FOR-NOW....
Great models is an excellent web site....I compared it to as many as 6 different sites and they came out ahead everytime....
I don't work for them or have any stocks.... just a very satisfied customer.....
p.s. shipment only took 4 days too.

#:-) :-)
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 11:09 AM UTC
I only use Internet Hobbies and endless hobbies, but endless hobbies took too long to deliver my stuff, so I don't think I will order again. Internethobbies is alright, but their prices are not exactly the best on the market, I only buy there because they don't give me problems, and have fast delivery, so its worth it. anyways, if you know of something cheap, I'll try it out, and remember, when you see a big sale don't forget to give the heads up here at the big A
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 247 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 11:23 AM UTC
Hobbylinc.com for models.
Hometownhobbies.com for PE.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 11:37 AM UTC
I try to find deals on eBay and only bid about 75% my LHS price. My model club also happens to meet at the business of discountmodels.com so anything I cannot find on eBay I can get straight from the club.

The only place I have ordered online was Great Model Webstore but they took forever to process my order and half of it was out of stock.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 11:45 AM UTC
i buy stuff from
Internet Hobbies and from
sqruadron
DMS
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 53 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 11:58 AM UTC
Internet Hobbies, Military Hobbies., Squadron, and depending on whats available, eBay. Alanger was pretty awesome when I ordered my ICM Soviet T-28 and Spetsnaz (they only sell EE, PST, and the late ICM kits).
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 01:47 PM UTC
Hometown-hobbies, VLS, Squadron, Great models, etc.
muca
Visit this Community
Pavia, Italy
entire network: 88 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:50 PM UTC
VLS or modelmecca
and mostly EBAY!
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 884 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 10:30 PM UTC
Great Models, great site, well priced, and never had a problem! Ebay. Don't forget about your local hobby store of brick and mortar, very important to still support the locals when possible! The only advice I have is don't upset the wife, it is a delicate balance! The yen and yang of the modeling relationship.
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 568 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 11:42 PM UTC
I purchase from the following and not in any order, VLS,Mission models,squadron,Ebay and of coarse my local hobby shop.all the above do great service mission models stands out above them all though very fast !!!!!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 11:49 PM UTC
No particular order: Squadron, VLS, Mission Models, Discount Models, R&J, and MilitaryHobbies
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 11:50 PM UTC
I do 90% of my buying from VLS.
Their membership deals (28%off , free updates/cataloges/free shipping over $15, holiday sale at 40%off all for about US$70) are great. Better still if you get the membership as a birthday/holiday gift.

Other than that Mission Models, Ebay, and a few others.
If I really planned ahead, I could do all my yearly shopping in the AMPS vendor room though....

Mike

not a VLS employee, but a VERY satisfied customer.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:56 AM UTC
http://www.modelsforsale.com/
are good, and accept Paypal. All deliveries are recorded post and all so far within a week to my door.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 05:59 AM UTC
My online experience is limited to http://www.squadron.com and http://www.hlj.com and both places has provided 1.st class service, quick delivery and huge load of goodies to choose from, in stock offcouse!

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:24 AM UTC
DOH! completely forgot HLJ..
gotta love them for Japanese sci-fi kits: Macross valkyries, SF3D kits and the Fine Molds Star Wars stuff. Much cheaper there, even with shipping, then anywhere in the states..

Fine Molds X-wing at semi-local HS = US$46 !!!!
from HLJ Including facstion of shipping cost across order US$25 :-)

Mike
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:47 AM UTC
I try to throw my kit and after market business towards fellow Armorama member Bob aka Alpen. Excellent prompt service -- never any problems --seems to be well stocked also.

Here is his link.

http://www.alpenflage-hobbies.com/

Steve
AntPhillips
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 118 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:50 AM UTC
In no particular order :

For General kits of all types :

Hannants
Hobby LinkJapan
Squadron
Great Models

For Ship Model stuff :

White Ensign Models

Plus direct from the maker in some instances e.g. Formations, Meteor Productions etc

Happy modelling
Ant
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 254 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 01:57 PM UTC
hobbylinc.com and internet hobbies, but I just found out internet hobbies is about a half hour away from me, so I am just going to start going there instead of shopping online
gkicsak
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 50 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 12:09 AM UTC
A place that I have found is:

http://www.luckymodel.com

It is cheaper than any other place I have seen.

Cheers,
Gabe
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
entire network: 4,630 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 01:28 AM UTC
I do not see http://www.rollmodels.com

I have had nothing but good relations with these people, AND they have some of the losest non-sale prices on the net. No, I do not work for them...
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 02:06 AM UTC
I've used lucy model/tristar of Hongkong super fast delivery also squadron and great models just ordered stuff from Hannats last Sunday and its still not here and thats in my own county they need to sort themselves out quick to take your cash but slow on delivery
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 02:19 AM UTC
In no particular order, I have always gotten good service from the following
Internet dealers. I seem to always end up ordering things that are back ordered from Roll Models, and Great Models, so my receipt of the items takes a little longer..
some take a little time to deliver, but then again it all depends what they have in stock,
and how willing I am to wait for them to get what I ordered from their distributors:
Roll Models---- excellent, although you usually have to wait, Emails you, after placing order, with receipt of order, doesn't charge your credit card until items are shipped.Emails you when shipped, with tracking number, and arrival date. Shipping can sometimes take several weeks depending on if in stock or not.

Great Models---- Service has improved 100% since they updated their site and server. Always gotten decent service from them, now it seems to be outstanding, although their in-stock showings seem to be a little off, it is understandable that if you have only one in stock, and three people order it at the same time, two aren't going to get it. Delivery, like Roll Models can be a little slow at times, sometimes taking serveral weeks.

Hometown Hobbies---- Bill Wolf is a gentleman to deal with, what more can I say

Squadron---- 99.9 % of the items ordered arrive within a week. Comsale items are usually all in stock.

Accurate Armour---- Fast shipping from UK, usually arrives within a two week period, always gotten what was ordered, with no damage.

Aeroclub Models--- Another UK dealer, again fast shipping, got my last order in a week.

Hannants---- Good service, always got what was ordered, in a timely manner.

Alanger----- Well, Max is Max, either you love him or you hate him. Always gotten good service, good prices, and he throws in a free kit to regular customers, plus his sales and discounts can't be beaten with a stick. Usually shipping is within a week to my door. Just needs to improve packaging, and better TAPE..... it's always broken when it get here. No kit damages, just the Damn tape is broken, and one day kits will be missing..... LISTEN UP MAX..... BETTER TAPING OF PACKAGE!!!!!!

Flightdec Decals---- Nice folks to deal with, will call or email you on out of stock items and ask if you want to wait for a restock. Also take paypal.

I could list more, but it would just become a internet informerical....
Model Expo, was another good dealer, but they seem to have even dumped Tamiya stock. My last venture to Model Expo showed that most of the Tamiya stuff as being out of stock, and prices at give away prices.

One thing I have learned from shopping on the internet is patience, I can instantly buy what I want or need, but have to WAIT for it to arrive, and that out of stock, and back order are pretty common.

NoMercy
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 111 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 03:22 AM UTC
I like great models.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts