Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
U.S. Marines out there? i wanna join
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 08:45 AM UTC
hey marines, my name is shain (same as shane) borger, and i have been wanting to join the marines for a while now, i'm in the 10th grade (well 11th, school ends in 4 weeks) and i am currently talking to recruiters and people now, (a Lt.Col and a Major) and i want to join the officer corps (first i gotta go to college and ROTC...) my dad is an ex marine, i say ex because 'once a marine always a marine' and served for 21 years, as a jet engine mechanic (CH-53E's BABY WAHOO!!!) and is behind me 110% im joining the marines because i want to be a leader

i dont know what i want to do in the marines right now i've narrowed it down to this..

1-fly helicopters, ch-53s or cobras

2-tanks(M1s i guess, do they still use the m60 tanks or is m1 the all around tank now?) or any other tracked vehicle

3-infantry

i want to be a leader so i figured those 3 are a great place to lead, be a crew chief for a helo or tank, or be a squad leader in infantry

i'd like to hear some marine's opinions on this
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 01:13 AM UTC
From a former (but still am deep down) Army Infantryman...

Your choices are all valid. However, all Marines are Infantrymen by birth. You might get your Infantry 'fill' from your initial trainings but, if I had it to do all over again, I would go for those (Army) rotors!

(Partial to the Army as both parents were Army.)

Best wishes in your choice of career!
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 01:25 AM UTC
sounds like a good career to me! im not at all familiar with the structure or recruitment of the US forces but the marines looks to me to be the only service where you can be a squaddie,tankie,swabbie or pilot.

of course i would rather join the royal marines!

cheers

joe
medic23
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
KitMaker Network: 51 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 03:19 AM UTC
I can Tell you That an ROTC program is the best way to go, gets you college ao you have something to fallback on and you start as a butterbar (2nd LT.) so you still have to take orders but you also get to give them.

Semper Fi