_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Drilling holes for 7.5cm rounds in 1/72......
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 07:20 AM UTC
I would like some suggestions in a very bad way on how to drill holes, 24 of them, in a square the size of 1/4'' x 1/8''. What I need to do is drill 4 rows of 6 holes in each row with a drill bit of .035''. My problem is that 1. I can't seem to get the rows of holes in a straight line and 2. I also can't seem to get the correct spacing between each hole. HELP!!! #:-)
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
entire network: 1,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 562 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hi,

What I'll do for that it's to draw the panel with the desired dimensions on a paper and then draw four lines representing the center of the 4 rows and then draw six lines representing the center of the 6 columns, the intersection will give you the center points of your holes.

Put the paper over the plastic panel and with a sharp point mark each center, take the paper off and with a drill make the hole with the desired size.

Hope it's understable.

Check Holes Diagram
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2002 - 02:49 PM UTC
That's the same way I do it Tuga, and it works fine for me.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 04:53 AM UTC
That's a VERY difficult job. Even if you have all the crosshairs in pencil, it's still an exremely tough job to get all those holes nicely lined out.
I tried something similar to make holes for my M577 (see pics in Armor features). I placed a metal mesh on top of the plasticard that needed drilling, and use the mesh to position the drill to make sure I got even spacing. But 1/16 is a lot easier scale than 1/72... I think I'd have to think of other angles to do it on 1/72. Using a metal strip may help you to line up the holes at least in one dimension. For the next line, replace the strip...
My 2 cts...
Jan
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2002 - 09:40 PM UTC
Thank you everyone for your input. I think I can do this. #:-)
 _GOTOTOP