_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How much!!!
pod123
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 187 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 03:44 AM UTC
guys my mate has just recieved a model plane he had on order at a local shop a 1/46 me 262 tamiya messerschmitt the clear edition and he payed £37.99 for it!!!! is this about right????
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 03:58 AM UTC
It's a little high, but actually, Tamiya is very overpriced in the EU. Has to do with the distributer. Standard retail US is $49.00, but online shops seem to want about 38 USD for it. Of course, add shipping and that price will be closer to 49 for US customers (no telling what shipping to the UK would run). If you want Tamiya in the EU, you will pay a premium for it.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 04:00 AM UTC
Pod even for the US that was a horrible price. But, it may not be in the UK. I live in japan where that kit retails for around 3500 yen(17.77 GBP). For now I'm glad I live here, but I dread going back to the US and prices close t that. STUG
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 12:07 PM UTC
Hi Pod. It would be advisable to buy a copy of military modelling. they have loads of advertisers (one of the reasons i stopped buying it ... too much advertising). They all have fairly good prices and postage within the UK is not too bad. Some have free postage when you buy more than a certain amount. It will give you a better choice and you can shop around for the best deals.
Muzz
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 50 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 05:48 AM UTC
Sounds about right for the U.K (Up here they are about £30)

Buy them straight from Hong Kong they cost about £12.

Rip Off Britain or does surface shipping really cost so much? (I think not!)

mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 10:55 PM UTC
yeah,
buy them from lucky model dirt cheap and arrives very quick I've ordered a few things from them and service is 1st class :-)
pod123
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 187 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 10:27 AM UTC
many thanks to you all for your replys i,ve checked some of the links and very useful many thanks once again
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 01:16 PM UTC
Muzz, its not just shipping cost, but also import Tariffs. That's why some companies are now opening production facilities in the US and Europe. In fact Tamiya just opened offices in England. So costs may drop for kits in the UK, Thats if you wonderful EU doesn't jack the prices again. Funny its actually cheeper for me to buy European kits than people living in europe, I don't have those nasty Taxes and Tariffs that jack the prices sky high. STUG
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 08:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Muzz, its not just shipping cost, but also import Tariffs. That's why some companies are now opening production facilities in the US and Europe. In fact Tamiya just opened offices in England. So costs may drop for kits in the UK, Thats if you wonderful EU doesn't jack the prices again. Funny its actually cheeper for me to buy European kits than people living in europe, I don't have those nasty Taxes and Tariffs that jack the prices sky high. STUG

that should be interesting if Tamiya has opened a office in the UK if
your looking at the article in TMMI it was only the importer for the kits new office which
happened to be opened by Mr T however dragon now has a new european importer and
kit prices have now dropped by around £10/ $17 to a much more affordable price of £24
per kit, as for ordering from HK I find that the shops only put the shipping cost on the
paper work so the taxman gets nowt! :-) :-)
 _GOTOTOP