_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
My Visit to London
tijmen_4real
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 131 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 03:43 AM UTC
Hello,

I'm gonna visit London from 6 to 9 may, 'cause my parents are 25 years together that same weekend. I'm staying in a hotel near Paddington, and i wanted to ask people from around there, or who have been there, if there are any big and/or good modelling shops in this area ? or in London itself, which are good to visit ?? Pardon me for my bad English, i don't use it that much. Greetz,

Tijmen (Taibo) 4real
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 03:53 AM UTC
You'll be a 3 hour train ride away from Bovington.

Paul
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 04:07 AM UTC
My trip to London specifically included a trip to the Hannant's Shop, which is accessible via the tube at Colindale Station. Upon exiting the station, turn right and the store is right there. Keep on the same road for a bit and you'll be at the Royal Air Force Museum. Highly recommended!
If you plan on Bovington (for armor addicts, a must) Paul is correct, the ride is 3 hours by rail from Victoria Station. I think round trip rail costs about 40 bucks. You'll take the train to Poole (Dorset) and catch a bus or taxi from there to the museum.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 04:42 AM UTC
How difficult is it to get a bunch of models through customs back to the US? Do you have to declare them and pay duties?
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 04:51 AM UTC
Depends on the value usually. I came back from Canada to the UK last year with a whole 'case full, but as the total value was less than the max. allowance for 'gifts' I didn't pay a penny in duty, and claimed all the sales tax back when I got back to the UK. You could probably do the same thing, as all UK purchases carry 17.5% VAT.
I'd have to ask why you would want to though Shermie, I've just ordered a Tamiya M3 Grant from a shop in the US, and including shipping it's still 20% cheaper than the shop price here!!!!

For shopping in London, Hannants would be my target, and as already stated, the RAF Museum is just up the road. Until i went there I never realised just how big the Typhoon/Tempest family really are!
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 04:53 AM UTC
Well, it's a bit tricky.
Just from experience (bringing back 2 suitcases full of Tamiya armor from Japan through Portland, Or.) if you don't have duplicate kits, you should be alright. In my case, it was all different stuff, and I explained to the Customs inspector that I was a builder (luckily she knew others with my passion/disease), I was not assessed any duty. Now if you bring back a bunch of the same kit, they might suspect you are a reseller and will likely charge you the duty.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd have to ask why you would want to though Shermie, I've just ordered a Tamiya M3 Grant from a shop in the US, and including shipping it's still 20% cheaper than the shop price here!!!!

I may have to opportunity to go to London. As you know there are different selections and availability in different regions. Just thought if I saw things of interest I would grab some things and bring them back if it was not too difficult.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 05:34 AM UTC
[quoteI may have to opportunity to go to London. As you know there are different selections and availability in different regions. Just thought if I saw things of interest I would grab some things and bring them back if it was not too difficult.[/quote]

Very true, why didn't I think of that. Doh! You may be lucky, but I tend to find that all the new stuff goes to the 'States first ( by about three months) and older rare kits are always somewhere else.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 05:49 AM UTC
Even if the newer kits go to the US first, there may be some older kit sitting on the shelf too!! That's the fun part of visiting a real store, finding that hidden gem!!
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 06:28 AM UTC
Dont forget to see the Imperial War Museum, they have a Jagpanther in there really worth a visit.
tijmen_4real
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 131 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 07:10 AM UTC
Ok,

So i looked up the adresses of Hannent's Shop, and saw the RAF-musea near it, and the Imperial War Museum was already planned. Any other suggestions for shops ?
Greetz,

Tijmen (Taibo) 4real
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 1,432 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 07:42 AM UTC
no shops I know of BUT when you are in london and you are into arcade games like me.. take a bag full of single pounds and visit SEGA WORLD! if thats still around 4 floors of arcade games.. racing with 12 people @ the same time flight sim that spins 360 degrees round all angles *WICKEDSICK*
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 07:54 AM UTC
When visiting the IWM, that Jagdpanther has some holes in it - proof that the 6pdr was effective despite what some have said.
Hannants is the only good model shop that I know in London, there are a few for figure modellers, but the other main 'toy' shop, Gamleyshas cut down on models over the last few years.
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 199 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:35 AM UTC
in addition to whats already been mentioned you could take a trip to the national army museum if memory serves me its just outside the royal hospital in chelsea(my uncle was a chelsea pensioner)the last time i was there they had a saladin and a centurion.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 02:32 PM UTC
If you are into dioramas, visit the 4D model shop. They have things that you can't get in the US and maybe even where you live. They just moved, so be sure you get the correct address. Ask for Zyg. Tell him Jeff from Kansas sent you.

4D Modelshop, the arches, 120 Leman Street, London, E1 8EU.

Check them out at modelshop.co.uk (10% off for students with I.D.)

Sealhead
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 06:13 PM UTC
If you like artillery there's also the 'Firepower' museum at Woolwich.
 _GOTOTOP