History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
British at Malaya 1941
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
entire network: 417 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2004 - 06:01 PM UTC
This is something that's been bothering me for a while.
I've read up about how the British had no armor in Malaya during the Japanese invasion, but I clearly remember my late grandfather telling me how two Japanese soldiers on bicycles destroyed a tank with two British soldiers who were sleeping inside with grenades.
My grandfather was in the military, so I dont think he would have mistaken a tank, but could there be any other possiblities that explain that?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 12:23 AM UTC
I believe the only British "armor" present during the 1942 invasion consisted of Bren Gun carriers. Hardly a formidable armored vehicle. Anyone else have some information to share?
DJ
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 12:37 AM UTC
the only british AFVs in malaya;

Marmon Harrington Mark 2 (South African) used in Malaya in 1941-42.

Thirty such armoured cars were issued from the ordnance depot in Singapore on 8 December 1941 to the 3rd Cavalry of the 11th Indian Division, III Indian Corps. These four-wheeled cars were armed with a Vickers machine gun and a mounting for a .50 in. Boys anti-tank rifle. After failing to impede the Japanese progress on mainland Malaya, the regiment withdrew with other British forces into Singapore; crossing the causeway into the island at 5.30 am on 31 January 1942 with the remaining eight armoured cars. A gap was blown in the causeway at 7.30 am and it was subsequently mined and blocked. The remnants of the regiment surrendered on 14 February 1942 with all surviving vehicles handed over to the Japanese.

Carden Lloyd tankettes

The only other British armour avaliable in Malaya was nine such tankettes which had been shipped from the Middle East. They were used by the 100th Independent Light Tank Squadron formed six months earlier. The squadron arrived in Singapore on 27 January 1942 and collected the nine obsolete tanks. Having seen much service in the desert, the two man tankettes needed repairs and overhaul which were not permitted due to lack of facilities and time. This Indian squadron had exactly three days of training in handling the "new" equipment before being placed under the command of the 3rd Cavalry for disposal. The squadron was neither ever fully operational, nor did it get a chance to get close to the enemy. The tankettes never got within firing range of the Japanese ans surrendered with the rest of the garrison on 14 February 1942.

hope that helps

cheers

joe