Discuss general weathering topics here.
German winter camo advice please
Aitch
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 05:22 AM UTC
I'm nearly ready to start the winter camo on my Academy 1/25th Jagdpanther. So far I've planned to spray white with a tint of brown onto the top surface - sprayed over patches of Maskol to simulate skuffing by the crew and tree branches etc. The band around the middle will get a scruffy grey - white that blends down into a very brown tone at the skirt level.
So far so good. But, should I spray the white and brown as a blended colour in my air brush, or as seperate coats - white then brown?
And should I do my dark panzer grey panel lines before or after spraying the winter camo?
Any advice please guys?
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 426 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:27 AM UTC
Aitch,
German "whitewash" was just that.. They used whitewash, paint or just about anything to add white camo to their armor.
And, they used just about anything to apply it with, from sprays to brushes, to mops and rags. So don't worry to much about uniformity.. Just slop it on and wipe it off..lol

BTW, Do the panel lines before and do a thin coat of whitewash.. The panel lines should show through.. If you do a heavy wash, then do the panels after the whitewash..
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 11:09 AM UTC
Howdy fellow 'treadhead',

I am a fan of Chris Mrosko's Winter white-wash method. IMHO, it simulates the actual method in which the German "white-wash" was applied, and then subsequently washed away by the rain and the elements......

Tread.
sk0l
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 10 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 12:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy fellow 'treadhead',

I am a fan of Chris Mrosko's Winter white-wash method. IMHO, it simulates the actual method in which the German "white-wash" was applied, and then subsequently washed away by the rain and the elements......

Tread.

Where's a link to this method? I'm trying to figure out how to do my whitewash..
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 02:28 AM UTC
This may help you with your problem - This new book has a very useful section on dealing with that 'nastiest' of painting subjects - White Camo...Jim

New Book Review
WAR-TOOL
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
entire network: 117 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 08:51 AM UTC
Hey, What i do to do a good white wash is brush on a coat of flat white paint, and then let it dry a few minutes, then take some q-tips and some thinner and start to streak it down the sides, it looks like rain wear, after that i take pastels and rub them on around the undercairage to simulate mud and dirt. There are some pics of a t-34 i did i white wash on in my gallery. Good luck on the white wash
Colt45
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 53 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 04:41 AM UTC
The actual whitewashes were done in the field, usually applied with heavy brushes. The paints were solid or in paste form and had to be deluted down. Vehicles were rarely fully painted white due to shortages, specially in the Eastern Front. Most vehicle's rear was not whitewashed. This was done to save paint and time since the most vulnerable parts were the front and sides. Whitewash is solopped on, and eventually began to wear off due to rain and contact with the crew's feet and hands.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC
If I were you ,I'd spray my kit the normal way with a 3 tone camo first them if you are using an airbrush take white paint and a little buff ..thin it to the extreme 80% thinner to 20 % paint ....close the nozzle of your airbrush so just a tiny bit of paint comes out and slowly build up your paint even paintinging from top to bottom to creat a streak effect ..Try it ..it takes a while before you can even see the paint change colors but the effects will look very worn and weathered ..

Rick
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
entire network: 417 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 09:25 AM UTC
after applying the whitewash, wipe streaks of it off, because soem of it would wash off when it rained
the_unborn
entire network: 126 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 09:58 AM UTC
I recommend you artist's water color for winter white wash. Just paint the vehicle, then when the color is dry you can easily make streaks using wet brush (with water) and scratches and wear. You can use your fingers, toothpicks, whatever to wear the wash, it looks the most realistic that way.

Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 275 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 06:43 PM UTC
Just wanna share my technique...

I use Titanium white oil paint straight from the tube. I load a little onto a clean chisel brush and paint it on the model with a random downward pattern.

The nice thing about oil paints is that you can easily manipulate the whitewash pattern the way you like it. Another bonus is that you can make it as thick or as thin a layer as you want. If you make a mistake, you can wipe it off easily.

Best of all, it's translucent. The vehicle's original color or camouflage pattern can still be seen through the whitewash if you put on a thin coat.

Angela :-)8
 _GOTOTOP