Discuss general weathering topics here.
Half submerged AFV.....
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 776 Posts
KitMaker Network: 190 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 12:20 PM UTC
Am working on an idea using an armored vehicle that has been half submerged in water and the other half still exposed to the elements.

The scene is to take place 10-20 years after the war. What I am trying to figure out, with your help, how would I go by weathering it.

Would the submerged part of the vehicle be mostly rusted out ????? Or would it be half rust and half what it looked like before going in ?????

In regards to the half sticking out of the water, some rust?? Mostly rust ??? Or mostly what it looked like with a little rust ????

Confused

Thanks for any help you can offer.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 2,394 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 12:31 PM UTC
Hello, the part above the water line would be rusted out. Depending on what kind of water it is there may be little or no rust at all. Kevin
M4Nut
Visit this Community
entire network: 148 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 02:20 PM UTC
If you have a pretty good bookstore near by, go check the bargan book section. I know that my local Barnes and Noble usually has a book about WW2 relics in the pacific. There are a few photos in there of Sherman half in, half out of the water. Will give you a real good idea what they look like.
Eric
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 03:04 PM UTC
The wole thing would rust but the lower part in the water would have sea life growing on it.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 03:33 PM UTC
hi Spades
if you want a bit of possible inspiration look here

Half drowned Panther Dio

hth
Pete
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 07:37 PM UTC
I believe that the process of rusting requires air as well as water. I would suggest that the tank is almost divided into three - underwater the first thing is that 'slime' and weed would form, then comes the creatures that live on the growth. If it's in the sea then corals, molluscs etc . would be next on the scene. Above the waterline rust would spread upwards fairly quickly, brightly coloured nearest the water and dulling off pretty quickly from there upwards. The top part would have rust appearing through the remains of the original colour especially on areas that would be worn, round hatches and panels etc. There would probably be some growth of 'land' plants, lichens etc on the upper part as well.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 09:16 PM UTC
it will depend in what water it's in ie salt water or freash if salt water rust would be all over it although not as bad on the top due to tides and heavy seas not forgeting limpets ect fixing themselves to it, dont forget there would be water level marks ect on it depending what time of year it was if in the summer when the river lowers a bit you'd see were the old levels were on the paint work also vist here
for some images of afvs which have been recovered from the sea,rivers and bogs ect to see that effect of water and dirt
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 03:07 AM UTC
Caution with the two-part floral "water". I tried it and whatever is in it, removes paint. It wasn't bad enough to ruin the project, but you can tell the paint dissolved in areas.
Spades
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 03:24 AM UTC
WOW !! Did not expect so much advice, but sure am glad for it. Plan on doing a russian tank in a river thats just been their for an awfully long time. And placing a figure or two sitting on it fishing with not a care in the world. Will add some humor to it, the fish would be on the side they are not fishing on. Thanks for all the advice.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 05:06 AM UTC
Spades that just sounds so funny. What is your method of showing the fish?
Spades
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:58 AM UTC
Pouring a nice little block of resin with a pigment of brown/green to add color. Planning on showing the tank in full, except for a section at the end of the tank, hoping to show a buildup of sand/mud because of the currents. Dont even know where I would get fish in that scale, may have to scratch build. Wife wont let me use the ones we have in the aquarium.
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 1,318 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 01:09 PM UTC

Sounds like a good idea. Good luck with it.

Patrick
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 08:31 AM UTC
Hi Spades. this picture I saved some time ago. cant remember who made it or from where. But anyway .... if you dont fancy modelling deep water ... heres one way around it!

Klown
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 71 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2005 - 11:42 PM UTC
as for the sealife and underwater growth, it all depends on what water the tank is in. Also if it has been left half submerged in the sea. the the bit sticking out of the water will be very rusty aswell, because of the waves
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 12:01 AM UTC
Take a look here:

http://www.lerenfort.fsnet.co.uk/page102.html

Theres a lot of inspiration on thet site.

Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 10,889 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,373 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 12:39 AM UTC
Spades,

A few weeks, if not months, ago there was an online article about folks pulling WW2 AFV's out of swamps in Russia. It got a mention here on Armorama.

Click here for the post.

I think this will give you a great reference if you are doing a river or swamp type theme.

Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 5,435 Posts
KitMaker Network: 454 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 08:33 AM UTC
This is very interesting. I am working on a half submerged LVT-(A)1 as I am so stupid I don't know anymore where I left the tracks of this kit.

So, submerged so I won't need those tracks are the idea, and I though I could make it a wreck.

This thread gives me usefull information, thanks for starting!

Martin
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 08:24 PM UTC
Iron can rust under water, just as long as there is oxygen, and if fish live in there, then there is oxygen. We have underground springs that open up to big ponds around here, the only thing, no oxygen in the water, and no fish life either in the water.

The water is super cold year around, and doesn't freeze in the winter, because of the underground spring it's fed by

As soon as the water breaks over the little falls going out of there, then it picks up oxygen, then you can see fish from there to the bay, but not in the pond. It's about 2 miles from the bay.

Kerry
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 12:17 AM UTC
That captured T-34 they pulled out of the swamp in Poland (?) didn't have an ounce of rust on it, Once they cleaned it you could still see the balkenkruz very easily. I guess it depends on where the dio will be. Salt and oxygen content in the water would both be factors.
 _GOTOTOP