_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Update- scratchbuilt locomotive
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 651 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 08:28 AM UTC
Well, the work continues at a slow pace....I have most of the access panels done, with hinges, and some rivets...next is the wheels. I have been trying to find an old locomotive to remove the wheels from, with no luck, so It looks like I'll have to scratchbuild them also...Let me know what you think so far

All the photos are in the gallery. Thanks!
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 08:41 AM UTC
now that is looking real good. I would be interested in how you do the wheels if you scratch build them. Thanks for sharing
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 09:08 AM UTC
This is a whole lot of plastic. In what scale are you building this one? About how many hours have you got into the beast already? I like it even though I know almost nothing about trains except that they are big.Thanks for sharing.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 2,394 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 09:27 AM UTC
Now that is "awesome" what you going to be pulling with it? I cant wait to see this finished. Cheers Kevin
boosahmer
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 10:56 AM UTC
It is in 1/35 scale.... I have no idea how many hours I've spent so far. Just cutting out those little hinges took about 8-9 hours! I have several cars built for an armored train. I may use it there, or I may use it with the Trumpeter Leopold that I have not started yet. Decisions, decisions! (Animal- I don't know much about trains either!) :-)
erwinrommel
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 20 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:20 AM UTC
make it a dak train!

also i like it nice work man real nice a work of love or is that love of work?
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:24 AM UTC
One thing is for sure it will go with either ideas that you have chosen. I kind of like the Armored train concept. Can you just see that coming at you and all you have are light weapons? BRRRRR. Gives you goose bumps.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 02:30 PM UTC
Howdy booshamer,

All I can say is WOW!.........I love it! I commend your progress, and all of the hard mental and physical work that went into it so far.

Just so you know, if you're thinking about adding something ARTILLERY based to your locomotive, and entering it in the "Incoming!!" Campaign in some form or fashion (I'm trying to think how you can right now....... ) It would definitely be considered in the special 'Gold Citation' side of the equation.

Just a thought.

Tread.

Please keep us apprised
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 02:36 PM UTC
WOOOOOOO

That is gona be some peice of work, I have always wanted to do a dio in 1/35 scale with a loco but it never came out as a kit and I donn't think it ever will because of it's size.

Yours is coming along nicely how did you get the measurements for everything, that was the biggest part for me of scrap building. I can not wait to see more.

Happy Modeling
boosahmer
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 03:32 AM UTC
Tom, for a reference, I used a French magazine called "Fanatics Dioramas", it had lots of photos and a couple of drawings.
treadhead...I hadn't given it any thought until I read your post, but I have a Dragon Artilleriewagen that I built just before I started the locomotive. Hmmmmm...I'll have to think this over now! :-)
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 10:55 AM UTC
See if you can find a Walthers (model railroading) catalog. They have all the train stuff listed. They might have some wheels that might work in O or G scale.

SB
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 06:48 PM UTC
wow THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY .u are doing a huge scratch work and u have to be congratulated . i am expecting to see how this will come out . And for the weels after all these tons of plastic i believe that u can scratch them nicely !!!!! keep this big effort my friend
APbullet
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
entire network: 236 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 07:37 PM UTC
Hi Boosahmer, that's looking mighty impressive. I'm following your build with great interest because i'm building a large scale dio with trains myself. I build two Ironside kits by now. I wanted to add a locomotive too and found the ones available too expensive. But i got one for my birthday. It's the dieselengine from Baluard. I will write a review about that one.

Anyway, i did some searching on the net and found this site about trains in the war. It's a german site but take a look under armoured trains/panzerzug.

http://www.hans-urban.org

wouter
boosahmer
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 03:26 AM UTC
wouter, great site! Thanks for the link. Also thanks to all for the kind words.
Cactus911
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 01:26 AM UTC
That's an inspiring project. The link makes me wonder if anyone knows what the doctrine for use of these things was. It seems strangely easy to just shoot the rails and then the effectiveness of your slow train is greatly decreased...

Stephen
boosahmer
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 03:21 AM UTC
Cactus911,
Some info I have is that partisans were constantly laying mines on the rails. The Germans would use fieldgendarmes in Panhards to "patrol" the rails, and there was usually a "pusher car", which was a flatbed, either empty or loaded with sanbags. It would detonate mines before they could damage the train. Of course there was a lot of time spent repairing, replacing rails.
 _GOTOTOP