_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
High cost of oils?
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 08:37 AM UTC
Every now and again I see somebody comment on the high cost of oil paint. I'd like to offer my 2 cents on this subject.
I mostly paint with oils but that only makes sense since I mostly do figures. Prior to this, I only did armor. I can't tell you the number of times I went to open a bottle of model paint (Tamiya, Polly Scale, Model Master...) only to find that the paint had solidified on the bottom of the bottle. At $2-$3 a bottle, this was pretty frustrating. Since switching to oils, I've never had one single instance of the paint drying out on me. I've got tubes as old as 10 years that are still perfectly useable. Plus, the amount of paint in them coupled with the fact that you use only a fraction of the paint as compared with model paint, the average cost of $5 a tube makes them a real bargin. The only colors that I've had to replace due to using them up were white (used to lighten almost everything) and burnt sienna (used for faces). So, for a couple of dollars more, I bought the 120mm tubes instead of the 40mm size.
I realize that you can't run them thru your airbrush so that is a legitimate drawback to using oils. Plus you can't go to the store and buy your favorite RLM color. But, you can easily mix up a decent match to almost any shade you are looking for. All it takes is a little experimentation. Or ask here at armorama for suggestions!
OK...enough hot air for now. I'm not b****ing. I just wanted to offer a different view on the subject . And I'm curious what anybody out there thinks about this.
Thanks,
Craig
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 09:43 AM UTC
Maybe it's my cheap side showing, but I picked up a starter set of oils from Wal-Mart for 15.00. * tubes in mixed colors.

I'm sure that they're not the best, but it's a good start. I've tried drybrushing and got great results so far. Now I have to get up the courage to start some figures with it.

John
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 01:20 PM UTC
I admit that I was one of the ones who commented on those expensive oils. I do agree that in the long run, I'll get very good value out of my money, but at the time I bought them, they took a pretty decent chunk out of my wallet.

Nic
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 05:50 PM UTC
Oils are like most of the good "tools": when you buy them, you find them expensive,
but they last you a looooonnnnnng time !
otto
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
entire network: 72 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 02:55 AM UTC
I keep an eye out for the local hobby shop sale fliers (Michaels, Hobby lobby, etc). I bought about 15 or 20 different Windsor and Newton oil paints for less than $3.00 a piece. All you have to do is look around a little bit and shop for the best deals, if money is that big of a concern. I also recommend trying art supply stores in your area. A lot of mom and pop stores are willing to make a deal any type of large purchase.
Otto
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 03:18 AM UTC
I popped into my local paint shop at the weekend,there was an offer on oils buy one get one free,coulnd't resist,only one thing,i spent my beer allowance,now that's dedication.
Arthur.
Am Alba Mannich
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 03:52 AM UTC
Hi Craig - I really agree with you. I figure for all the money
we put into our hobby, that it dosen't make sense to skimp
when it come's to quality oil's & brushes also.
...I use Winsor & Newton exclusively. I use them to paint all my
flesh tones/faces. When Igot back into modeling 3 years ago, I bought
10 - 37ml tubes of W&N, and up until this very day, with all the faces,
hands, drybrushing, and shading that I've done - I still haven't even
dented the amount of oil in these tube's. So in most case's, 1 - 37ml tube can
actually last you with no doubt a good 20 years, depending on how you
use them of course.
One thing - Tube oil's can be airbrushed when dissovled/mixed well with
thinner's and then sprayed with good result's - as sprayed washes especially.
At least that's my experience.
ANYWAY - GOOD TOPIC !
- ralph
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 09:45 AM UTC
Hey Mongo,

I use a combination of both (acrylic and oils). Some of these oil tubes have lasted over a decade, some have not. I think that they are good value for their $$, and that there is plenty of room for the other acrylics and enanels.

my 2¢ worth
Dave
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 649 Posts
KitMaker Network: 261 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 10:11 AM UTC
Another good source, here in the states anyway, are yard sales. Might be called a tag sale or garage sale in your area. I picked up a set of Bob Ross oils for next to nothing. It had all the primary colors, but the white was gone. Found a 150ml (5oz.) tube of white at a craft store going out of business. The only colors I bought at retail was a tube of yellow ochre, for drybrushing panzer dunklegelb, and a tube of dark pewter, for track and metal ware, and flesh base. I was looking for a tube of olive, boy is that expensive. Mix that with yellow, blue and a bit of black....add white to lighten.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 939 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 11:43 AM UTC
Oil paints last forever given the size of the tube and the amount of paint used any one time. I have some cheap oils in earth colors I use for washes, and a variety for painting figures. The main problem I have with the longevity of oil paints is that the lids tend to fall apart well before I'm out of paint!

Andy
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 1,580 Posts
KitMaker Network: 244 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 07:08 PM UTC
Hi Ralph,
I've always heard that you can't airbrush oils. I've heard that it's rough on the airbrush. You're the first person to tell me that you can! Now I'll have to give it a try.
Thanks! I agree about using good brushes. I'm a big fan of Windsor & Newton, Series 7 brushes for small, detail painting. I get mine from Cheap Joes Art Supplies. They have the best prices I've seen anywhere. Plus, a big selection of oil paint colors and manufacturers.

And thanks to all who have responded to my thoughts.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 09:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Ralph,
I've always heard that you can't airbrush oils. I've heard that it's rough on the airbrush. You're the first person to tell me that you can! Now I'll have to give it a try.
Thanks! I agree about using good brushes. I'm a big fan of Windsor & Newton, Series 7 brushes for small, detail painting. I get mine from Cheap Joes Art Supplies. They have the best prices I've seen anywhere. Plus, a big selection of oil paint colors and manufacturers.

And thanks to all who have responded to my thoughts.

Ditto. I have always stayed away from ABing oils...you say you do it successfully, please expand a little on that would you? I would love to give it a 'go', but need someone to push me over the edge I guess.

Thx in advance,

Tread.
 _GOTOTOP