_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
Battle of the Bulge: Planning
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 07:22 PM UTC
I shouldn't be posting this but:

Ok, the dimensions written were 13.5 and 3.5 (1/10 scale)

I have put all the tanks that I'll be doing on but I need your imputs regarding some of the tanks written there. Will the Marder III look ok? And what Panzers did they use?
warthog
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 09:14 PM UTC
Shonen: have you seen the movie "Battle of the Bulge"? Maybe you could get a copy...there are several ideas you could get on how to create your dio...just don't mind the german tanks because in the movie they were all post war american tanks:-H

...Hmmm...I think I have a VCD of that movie...where did I put it?
LaTtEX
Visit this Community
entire network: 292 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 12:54 AM UTC
Hmmm, ask the guys if someone has a book about the Battle that you could borrow. It might have illustrations or photos of how the tanks were actually arranged (I don't believe they were arranged in any way at all!)
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 01:38 AM UTC
I guess I'll have to rework on this. Forget the first plan. Makakahiram na ako ng libro so I guess 2 diff dio ang gagawin ko. One German and one US.

LaTtEX, di naman yan talaga yung arrangement. Sort of pattern lang. They're in a battle, not in a parade. Di ko lang nilagyan ng angle yung ibang tanks. Dapat yung iba magflaflank right/left.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 01:59 AM UTC
Ooops... the black sherman should be labeled as 75mm. My mistake

Here are the updated pics:

US Diorama

German Diorama

Question:

Will the Wespe be ok for the dio?
warthog
Visit this Community
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 02:27 AM UTC
Shonen: I think that would be the best., two dios one allied and one german. If I may suggest maybe you could also make them interlocking...I mean just like a jigsaw puzzle. Once you complete the individual dio you have the option of putting them together...just an idea I got from someone who posted in the Diorama forum (he made four interlocking pieces of a ruined city w/each dio having its own set of tanks.).....
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 02:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Shonen: I think that would be the best., two dios one allied and one german. If I may suggest maybe you could also make them interlocking...I mean just like a jigsaw puzzle. Once you complete the individual dio you have the option of putting them together...just an idea I got from someone who posted in the Diorama forum (he made four interlocking pieces of a ruined city w/each dio having its own set of tanks.).....

Yup yup! That was my original plan, yung US dio nga lang seperated into pieces pa (kung sakaling pwede ipangcontest tsaka mas madali dalhin ). Kaso nga lang, they need a veeerrry large space in between. Siguro yung house yung keystone nila.
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 12:00 PM UTC
Shonen:

IIRC, the German's mainstay was the King/Royal Tiger II. Though there were other Panzers used, I could not recall the types though.

Here's a suggested scene, why not make it look like 3-4 Shermans maneuvering to outflank a Tiger for a shot to its rear? IIRC, this was a tactic devised later on when the Americans discovered how heavily armored the Koningtiger was up front. But outflanking a Tiger with one tank is not enough, hence you hadda commit a tank platoon to go after one Tiger.

BTW, what scale are your tanks? '35 or '72?
Fritz
Visit this Community
entire network: 495 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Shonen:
IIRC, the German's mainstay was the King/Royal Tiger II. Though there were other Panzers used, I could not recall the types though.
Here's a suggested scene, why not make it look like 3-4 Shermans maneuvering to outflank a Tiger for a shot to its rear? IIRC, this was a tactic devised later on when the Americans discovered how heavily armored the Koningtiger was up front. But outflanking a Tiger with one tank is not enough, hence you hadda commit a tank platoon to go after one Tiger.

Yup, that was their strategy. So basically the Shermans won because of large numbers.

Shonen,
With that strategy in mind I don't think you could interlock those dios. A platoon of US tanks going anywhere near that number of Tigers is no more than a thought. Before those Shermans get even a few hundred meters of that platoon of Tigers they would already be pounded by those 88's, not to mention the range of the guns of the Tigers. The crew of those Shermans could only hope those Tigers either run out of fuel or ammo.
So I guess just make two non-interlocking dioramas or you could follow 4-Eyes71's suggestion.
lonewolf
Visit this Community
entire network: 478 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 12:13 AM UTC
I don't think my suggestion counts, but anyway:

Sana hnde ganyan yung pagka-ayos nung mga armor....Para kseng naka garahe e....

Try to uhh..basta parang yung iba naka-diagonal, yung iba, sabog na, na de-tread na yung tracks, etc. basta parang random yung positions....Para medyo mukhang natural...
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 01:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't think my suggestion counts, but anyway:

Sana hnde ganyan yung pagka-ayos nung mga armor....Para kseng naka garahe e....

Try to uhh..basta parang yung iba naka-diagonal, yung iba, sabog na, na de-tread na yung tracks, etc. basta parang random yung positions....Para medyo mukhang natural...

Thanks for the suggestion LW. Actually, not everything there is what you see. Syempre yung iba tagilid. Di ko lang ginawa sa Autocad. Mahirap kasi iba-ibahin yung posisyon eh.

Actually, I CAN combine both dioramas. Teka lang at iiseketch ko. Nag-eeror kasi Autocad ko.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 01:27 AM UTC
Here you go

Great! I'm not expecting this diorama to be this big!!! The one in the yellow would be the third diorama which will incorporate more on infantry battle.
buck
Visit this Community
entire network: 437 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 01:52 AM UTC
Very interesting project, Shonen! Its good the others are helping you with the layout. If I may suggest, you could build an "after the fact" dio; that is, after the Shermans have either knocked out the panzers or after the German column has surrendered. What do you think?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 02:29 AM UTC
Surrendered pwede pa but not destroyed. I don't want to waste my money on major to totally damaged kits :-) :-) :-) :-). I was thinking na iaambush ng German yung US via the hill. The infantry would go on first. Anyways, until I've borrowed GI's book, pwede pang magbago yung dio. As of now, yung US units muna gagawin ko. Mas madali naman magposition eh :-) :-) :-) :-) This may probably take me a year or so to finish it. THIS is in 1/35.
Fritz
Visit this Community
entire network: 495 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 01:12 PM UTC
Well Shonen I'm sorry to say but that "ambush" your talking about is not possible either. You see those German tanks are pretty noisy so making an ambush that close is not possible . The tanks would just be so noisy that before they even get close the Americans would have heard them and would have had ample time to prepare.
I guess it would be safe to say that tanks only get close to each other in battlefields. I suggest that you pose those Americans in their own counterattack positions wherein they were expecting the ambush instead of being sitting ducks.

Just a thought,
Fritz
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 05:05 PM UTC
Hmmm... pwede rin. Yung hill ang magigiging deciding factor sa diorama na to. Thanks for the info!
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 275 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 08:19 PM UTC
Whoa! That's a pretty big project, shonen_red. It's impressive but I'd like to comment on something.

Having a diorama as big as this with lots of activities going on will totally make the idea skip off the floor. There are just too many activities that the main idea will be lost. I think it's better to make a more compact diorama since it holds the story/main idea tighter.

I like the idea of one guy who posted here. He said that you can make a dioraman of three or four Shermans surrounding a King Tiger. This would make a "tighter" diorama.

I saw the Battle of the Buldge in VCD. One scene I particularly like is a German King Tiger crossing a bridge, followed by other King Tigers and infantry. It pushed a burning Sherman off to the side of the bridge where it fell into the river.

You could make that diorama or a variation of it. Instead of a Sherman being pushed into the river, maybe you could make a bridge diorama of a Sherman and some infantry trying desperately to defend a bridge against a horde of German infantry and a King Tiger.

Just a thought...

Angela
 _GOTOTOP