_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hello from another newbie
Chunks
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 12:20 PM UTC
Hi everyone,

Just joined after mainly lurking elsewhere (likely mostly true here also). Though I hope at some point to be able to repay the kind folks here with some contribution.

I spent 4 years as a 11E tanker in M-60s with the 9th ID and 3rd ID and have been retired from the Alaska Fire Service for some time now and am happily living with mama moose and her calves as my nearest neighbors in the hills of interior Alaska.

My modeling mostly resumed on retirement and concentrates on aircraft and armor in 1/48. Mostly for my own entertainment, there's no way I expect to approach the knowledge, skills, and abilities I've seen in the general modeling community. Sigh, someday mabbe.

Thank you folks very much for providing a welcome place to visit!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 12:51 PM UTC
I'm glad you accepted the invitation. Do you happen to have any experience with fire bombers? I'm working on a B-25 version off and on...
Chunks
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 01:08 PM UTC
Not directly. During my years in fire operations on the fire line I have both been supported by and dropped on by many airtankers. Later on I've worked with them more indirectly as I switched to logistical support where moving crews, overhead, etc was the priority. We use(d) aircraft like pickup trucks here. If you're working on airtankers in general, I have a drawing of an A-10 airtanker considered by the USFS at their San Dimas Research Center that ultimately was rejected for use. Very sadly I thought. The FireHogs concept I thought should have been given more consideration but the not invented here mentality is a strong one. For the B-25 itself only vague memories of it off in the distance. I would love to see yours when you're able.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2020 - 10:15 PM UTC
Welcome aboard!

/ Robin
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 09, 2020 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not directly. During my years in fire operations on the fire line I have both been supported by and dropped on by many airtankers. Later on I've worked with them more indirectly as I switched to logistical support where moving crews, overhead, etc was the priority. We use(d) aircraft like pickup trucks here. If you're working on airtankers in general, I have a drawing of an A-10 airtanker considered by the USFS at their San Dimas Research Center that ultimately was rejected for use. Very sadly I thought. The FireHogs concept I thought should have been given more consideration but the not invented here mentality is a strong one. For the B-25 itself only vague memories of it off in the distance. I would love to see yours when you're able.

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/283920&page=1

I started a more lengthy thread on a firebomber forum but in the limited amount of time I have this morning can't seem to find it.
Sticking point right now is finding larger air intakes for the engine to do the one I want to do.
Chunks
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 - 10:10 AM UTC
Lone Star Models is a mabbe.
Chunks
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States