_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Is a etch mate is worthwhile?
Stormin
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 232 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 06:53 AM UTC
Hi all,
I've got a few kits with photo etch & I've never used it before and I'm unsure on how to fold it & shape it. I've seen an etch mate http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxsearchresults.php?SupplierCode=ET Is it a worthwhile purchase or can anyone help me with something simpler? Thanks in advance.
Kenny
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,
I've got a few kits with photo etch & I've never used it before and I'm unsure on how to fold it & shape it. I've seen an etch mate http://www.historexagents.com/shop/hxsearchresults.php?SupplierCode=ET Is it a worthwhile purchase or can anyone help me with something simpler? Thanks in advance.
Kenny

There are lots of ways to fold etch and if it's just for a few kits it might not be worth the price.

But if you're an etch maniac, or likely to become one, I cannot recommend the etch mate highly enough!

Literally it turns folding etch into a tv-tray while watching the tube laptop exercise.

I really like mine for folding boxes and Panther fenders.

I am 100% satisfied with mine. I got the 6 in model and the longer folding blades and have made good use of the whole length and long blade. I have only had one time I needed a deeper (front to back) field to work with, and with a little ingenuity (turned the part sideways) I still got it folded.

My US$0.02 before taxes
Mike
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 09:16 PM UTC
stormin,
try looking for flat nose pliers with no teeth/ grooves in them you can pick them up
at local tool shops cost a couple of quid and will help you bend basic shapes ect I picked mines up for £1 at a car boot sale if you have a hobbycraft shop near you you can buy them there for £7 in the jewelers section or
small shop eu
also as a similar tool which comes in different sizes/prices

glad to see you back bud
Shado1
Visit this Community
Tochigi-ken, Japan / 日本
entire network: 211 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 02:41 AM UTC
I bought one, and love it. Makes PE work much more "stable" for me.
If you're going to be using a lot of PE in your modeling, I'd recommend it or the Hold 'n' Fold, or something similar.
pcmodeler
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 292 Posts
KitMaker Network: 50 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 02:43 AM UTC
Yeah, really depends on how much photoetch you do. I'm planning on getting a hold and fold in the next month or so. I've done the pliers and door hinge thing long enough.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 03:12 AM UTC
I've got an etch mate too. For standard pe is not that essential in my view. because they're easy to bend with other tools like a knife or a flat nose pliers without teeth (as somebody already mentioned). I fin it extremely handy when I scratchbuid metal parts from foil...
Ciao
Stormin
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 232 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 04:40 AM UTC
Hi all,
once again many thanks to all your responses. have a on me. Hi Mike, hear you've got yourself a lammy, what did you get? Mike, thanks for the shop EU link, after having a good look through it, I'm going to go for their version, I've a few kits with PE & I'm sure to get more if it all works out okay. Thanks to all the other guys tips, but I'm kinda clumsy & shaky hands with fiddly bits for trying it with pliers. One other question do you know where to get the jewelers double eye peices? It looks like a poker hat with 2 eye peices with adjustable & changing magnification lenses?
Kenny.
 _GOTOTOP