_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling Questions?
Ask your modeling related questions here.
Lacquer over acrylic????
swede82
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 135 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 01:43 PM UTC
I've used Mission Models acrylics on a 1/48th B-24. Shot it with the semi gloss clear and decal-ed then re shot with the semi gloss clear. Not too bad except for the thinner/paint mathematics. Mixed and shot the clear flat. The stuff is like trying to shoot Elmers glue no matter the amount of thinner or re mix with their poly additive. Now my question, can I just mist coat with Tamiya Flat lacquer rattle can? Anyone had this problem and how did it work out???
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 02:39 PM UTC
My opinion would be yes,I have used both Testors and Alclad Lacquer Flat over acrylics with no problem.Make sure basecoat is fully cured.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 04:10 PM UTC
Testors Dullcote spray can is my go to clear, both flat and gloss. I haven't had any issues painting over acrylics.
swede82
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 135 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 02:24 AM UTC
Gentlemen, I appreciate the quick answers. And they are what I was hoping for. I have been reluctant about using acrylics as I am old enough to be OLD SCHOOL. But, the painting went well overlooking the slight problem with the clear I will be trying it some more! Have a great day and stay healthy !!!
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 02, 2020 - 07:07 AM UTC
I switched to acrylics a couple years ago and it just literally dawned on me that I built my first kit with my terminally ill dad 50 years ago this month, it was a birthday gift from him. I used enamel and lacquer most of that time. Used Testors, Pactra, Humbrol. Watched the arrival of Testors model master line, the demise of Pactra and the rise of the acrylics. There was a learning curve switching to acrylics and I still make mistakes.
 _GOTOTOP