_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
A simple tip on how to build great models
jonasaberg
Visit this Community
Vaasa, Finland
entire network: 66 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 02:37 AM UTC
Here is a simple yet IMO crucial tip for creating great models.
Whenever you are out walking, in town, anywhere basically, closely observe your surroundings. How the buildings look, how the strret looks, where dirt gathers, leaves in the street, EVERYTHING. You could even have a small camera to take pics if you see something really cool.

The goal is to get to know how your surroundings work and what is affected by what. By observing and remembering and trying to replicate in a smaller scale you will learn to create great models.

Something I thought about while jogging.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 02:41 AM UTC
its a great tip, and its certainly true!

i always build dios whilst looking onto the garden, or out into the woods that surround my house as it helps get the perspective right.

cheers

joe
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 03:06 AM UTC
Very true. However, the web would be another option.
boatswain
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 53 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 04:12 AM UTC
A great tip that I agree with 100%

Whenever I am at work (I work in an electric motor repair shop, generators, traction motors and such) I constantly find myself looking at equipment, how and were dirt accumulates, how the weather effects the towmotors we use outside. I also look at cars a lot (especially the rust buckets) to see how real world vehicles rust, where they rust and show the most wear and tear.

Sometimes you just have to get out of your modeling space and take a look around.
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 07:34 AM UTC
A great tip that I have done as well. I take the train to school everyday and I always look at where wear is, rust, dirt. I also pass through alot of old factories on the outskirts of Chicago-- great looking weathered effects

Sean
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 07:48 AM UTC
That's only too true !! Besides the truth in it, it's also very healthy to have a good walk once in a while, so it works both ways.

Great tip !
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 07:53 AM UTC
SO SIMPLE YET SO TRUE, great idea! why i never thought of that before, i dont know, maybe i should jog more!
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 07:59 AM UTC
absolutely true and a nice tip..thanks for reminding :-) and also remember to look at people how to shade and highlight figures .
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 05:25 PM UTC
indeed very useful tip and Graywolf's also for figure painters and dio makers. i also was thinkin of making an extended photoshoot on old wind mills good half ruined, tottaly ruined, abandoned, and also old stone houses and stone walls, that i can find in my island. Is this going to be of any interest. i wanna make it as an offer to Armorama members

Costas
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 389 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 08:50 PM UTC
Really a nice tip! And a very true one.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 2,394 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 09:54 PM UTC
Costas- that is a great idea, I would be very interested in seeing things like that around your island. I have a stone wall that just needs to find its way into a diorama So I can't wait to see what you come up with. Cheers my friend, Kevin
coltm4
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 164 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:49 PM UTC
I know what you mean! Plus, one of my own, which has become an almost obsessive habit, is when you walk through a shop and see something.... ask yourself "would that be useful fo modelling?"
It could be a piece of tap from a hardware store or some flyscreen or even a strange looking piece of rope! So that when you are making a model/diorama that needs something a little special/unusual then there you have it, sitting beside you, or you know just where to get it.
Rico
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 66 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 03:24 AM UTC
Very good tip! I golf a lot, and always notice things that I can use in a diorama. Just look at the ground, and see how the overall color of some grass changes. For instance, there might be some bare dirt, then some yellow grass, then some greener grass, etc. Or how tall weeds grow, how they vary in height and how much shorter grass is in between the tall stuff. Or go into a forest and look at the ground, how there are all sorts of sticks laying around, how the weeds grow - and look at how noticeable one thing is in comparison to another. This is all stuff you can put to use in making a realistic diorama.
redaye
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 123 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 07:05 AM UTC
you are right, that is a good tip and one that i regularly practice. what i like to obsrve most are the tires on trucks. gives you a good reference as to where the dirt gathers, the colors that they turn. another thing is to look at stains on buildings.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 926 Posts
KitMaker Network: 329 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 02:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know what you mean! Plus, one of my own, which has become an almost obsessive habit, is when you walk through a shop and see something.... ask yourself "would that be useful fo modelling?"
It could be a piece of tap from a hardware store or some flyscreen or even a strange looking piece of rope! So that when you are making a model/diorama that needs something a little special/unusual then there you have it, sitting beside you, or you know just where to get it.

Coltm4,

I agree. I can't tell you how many things I've disassembled for possible use in the future...watches, disposable lighters, small motors. You name it, I hang on to it. You never know what you may be able to use...for example, I once used the fine copper wire from a very small electric motor to replicate the antenna on a 1/72 scale aircraft. There are so many possibilities...all it takes is a little imagination....and some things from your "someday I'll use this" drawer...
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 - 02:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...I constantly find myself looking at equipment, how and were dirt accumulates, how the weather effects the towmotors we use outside. I also look at cars a lot (especially the rust buckets) to see how real world vehicles rust, where they rust and show the most wear and tear.

So true! But be warned, looking at the real thing can be hazardous to some of our conventional wisdom, especially concerning weathering! Read Paul Owen's Weathering Heresies.
raycel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 43 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 01:18 AM UTC
I am so glad to see this. When I am out I always try to have my digital camera handy. I take photos of just about everything I think could be useful. I then put them on disks. Of course my wife consistently wonders why I am taking pictures of tires, bushes, old buildings, etc.
(I've tried explaining it, she just doesn't get it!)
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 02:26 AM UTC
while walking away from school I found a pipe, around 3 inches in diameter, and it had developed some nice rust, and I figured out I could take my camera and take a few pictures of it, but then it was gone, the construction workers had picked up all the trash and and rubble, including the beautifully rusted pipe( )
 _GOTOTOP