_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
slow drying glue recommendation
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 502 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2020 - 07:16 AM UTC

I use slower drying glue when I have something large to stick together like two fuselage halves. I've been using faller expert but am having my doubts about it. I've had a couple of aircraft split along the top of the fuselage well into the build. And I had another incident where the glue never seemed to set. I've had mostly good luck with the stuff, but am wondering what else I might explore....
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2020 - 08:59 AM UTC
I just got turned on to the Tamiya cement with the orange cap,worked well for me,slower then the green cap Extra Thin
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2020 - 09:50 AM UTC
I went the other way, fast drying solvents.
Instead of a smearing slow drying glue on the joint and then tryign to get everything lined up I use capillary action to draw solvent into a joint that is already closed. By doing it this way I can dry fit and adjust until everything is lined up and then add a small droplet of solvent to the edge of the joint, preferably from the inside but the outside works too. Capillary action will draw the solvent into the joint. If the joint is nice and tight it can glue the whole joint in one go, if needed I add a small droplet further along the joint.
Small worn out paintbrushes are used to carry the droplet of solvent to the joint.
I use ethyl acetate (can sometimes be found in acetone free nail polish removers, just make sure it is oil free). I got a 2 gallon container from a paint supply shop, it will last me a loooong time ...
https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Ethyl-acetate
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2020 - 03:15 PM UTC
Micro Weld is a slow drying glue and I agree with Tojo72, Tamiya orange cap is very slow. It's almost a gel.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2020 - 10:54 AM UTC
Like Robin, I prefer to use fast glue (Tamiya Extra thin or MEK), even for long joints that need adjustments, I glue them in sections.

For some pieces that I can not hold while applying the glue or need time to adjust, I like Revell Contacta.
 _GOTOTOP