_GOTOBOTTOM
Tips & Tricks
Ask about and post about tips and tricks you use while modelling.
Do not cement!
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 502 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 03:15 PM UTC

Occasionally I come across this instruction for a part that is going to move freely inside another part and I can usually manage to figure out a way to cement the containing parts allowing the inner part to move freely. Working on a Bronco Valentine and they have this set up to allow the gun in the turret to move. The contact surfaces for the surrounding parts are tiny. Any suggestions for what to do in this circumstance?

I may just punt on it and have the gun at a fixed elevation, but I'd like to figure out how to make it work....
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 - 11:16 PM UTC
I never hesitate to glue down supposedly moveable parts since the idea is that I don't want anyone touching the finished product, let alone playing with it. Just my $0.02...

Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 1,476 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2020 - 01:54 AM UTC
Mark has a point, how much do you need the gun to be moveable? If you really do, without seeing the actual parts the following may not be practicable but here’s some ideas: 1) use white glue to bond the “containing” elements together and when dry (or rather while drying) gently wiggle the moving part to keep it moving freely. 2) if it’s not going to be visible inside the turret, beef up the containing elements with extra pieces of plastic which can be bonded together with styrene glue without it reaching the moving element. 3) I’ve never tried this (so maybe experiment with something from the spares box) but maybe it’s possible to coat the moving element with ? Vaseline ? silicone? barrier cream?! which would prevent any glue seepage getting to it
 _GOTOTOP