_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Which Super Glue for metal parts?
john3591
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 40 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 12:18 PM UTC
I have a metal gun barrel for a 1/35 tank and need to assemble it. Which CA glue works best? I have Gorilla CA but lately it doesn't seem to work as I remember, maybe gone bad? Which brand can I trust? Thanks---John
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 02:53 PM UTC
How old is your glue? If it's old it may not stick well. I'll order glue if I'm doing a paint order or I'll pick some up at Home Depot. I use Zap gel type glue if I order it and I've switched to Gorilla gel type last summer. I store mine in a mason jar with a lid and in the fridge. I replace it every 6 months or so after I open it regardless of how much I used. Prep is important. I clean any area where I'm putting CA with IPA and a q-tip and I make sure the part I'm gluing is also clean.

When gluing in a barrel, clean both the barrel and mount with IPA. I'll lightly sand the both areas that are to be glued with 600 grit to give the glue some tooth. After sanding I'll clean all the dust and sanding debris with a soft brush or q-tip with IPA.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2020 - 03:31 AM UTC
I recommend Bob Smith Industries (BSI) CA glues. I've been using them for 30 years and they are excellent.
 _GOTOTOP