_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Buying from Lucky Models or Hong Kong based
AQUIMAN00
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2020 - 11:04 AM UTC
Is there any problems from buying from Lucky Models given the political situation? I used to buy from them but I'm not sure nowadays.
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 170 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 06:12 AM UTC
I ordered 8 weeks ago, & it took 7 weeks to the UK.
Despite paying for airmail, it went surface & I got hit for customs & Post Office charges.

The current situation is the deciding factor, so long shipping times are most probable.

ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 12:33 AM UTC
I've used Lucky Model twice since the first of the year. First order was about the time the pandemic hit. My order sat in a warehouse in California for about a month. (part of the "Stay at Home" order??)
I contacted LM's customer service about it, a few times, as I too paid for air freight. Finally it arrived. The CS always quickly responded to my Emails.
Second order I used their $10 surface shipping deal. It took about 6 weeks to arrive. About what they predicted.
If you're not in a rush I'd go the slow boat from China route. Which, that $10 deal is currently going on.
Any problems I would GUESS would be Virus related and not political.
Good Luck !
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 03:41 AM UTC
I had ordered from a Ebay shop based in HK. Air wasn't an optin and it took just over 2 months to get the order here. Tracking was spotty, but it did show up eventually.

I've had stuff ordered in the states take several weeks, because it sat at one USPS distribution center for over a week.

It's all hit an miss.....
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 10:12 AM UTC
My latest experience ordering from China-ish area. Sat in LA customs for over a month. Just got it a few days ago. I don't believe it came from Hong Kong but my gut feeling it got the way it is on this side of the long pond.

Cheers

petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,353 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2020 - 10:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My latest experience ordering from China-ish area. Sat in LA customs for over a month. Just got it a few days ago. I don't believe it came from Hong Kong but my gut feeling it got the way it is on this side of the long pond.

Cheers

Ouch. I think 'sat' is the operative word, but not in the intent of your comment.

How are the parts? Salvageable?
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2020 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ouch. I think 'sat' is the operative word, but not in the intent of your comment.

How are the parts? Salvageable?

I must be lucky. After spending a few hours under the magnifier and using my reading glasses inspecting each sprue/part, it looks like the kit is intact. A few pieces fell off the sprue. Only real damage was the part that is the preverbal bucket that hangs off the back of the tank. So what does this have to do with ordering from Hong Kong, just in this humble modeler's opinion that due to this pandemic, shipping may be hazardous to the item's you order. Especially if you are a cheap skate like me and order using the cheapest method of shipping or jump on 'free shipping' when ordering on ebay.

Cheers

_GOTOTOP