_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
why are tank track so complicated to build?
thebunkerparodie
Visit this Community
Bas-Rhin, France
entire network: 27 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 07:00 PM UTC
Hello,
I'm talking about the multiple part ,the one that are meant to be workable,I'm fine with since they aren't the hardest thing to do but track like the one from the Lowe of amusing hobby, I tend to despise them honestly .
I prefer to have track "in section" or like the one from takom T-55 rather than these

Hope my english make sense, thanks for your answer!
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 07:36 PM UTC
multi-part link type tracks add to the parts count of the kit. Well, that's one of my beliefs. Another is they are trying to have them look more realistic, and they do look a lot better than the old rubber band style. Some tracks in the 1/1 scale world are pretty complex with bolted in guide horns, track pads and links. Russian tracks are a lot more simplistic. Forged one piece links held together by a single pin.

Plus you can put realistic track sag onto a tank, model a thrown track, articulate the suspension. And you don't have to shell out for aftermarket tracks. The kit may cost a bit more but not as much as a lot of aftermarket tracks cost.
thebunkerparodie
Visit this Community
Bas-Rhin, France
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 - 08:03 PM UTC
true that a lkot of aftermarket track cost a lot of money
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2020 - 04:25 PM UTC
I have yet to do the tracks on my RFM Firefly,really looking forward to that
thebunkerparodie
Visit this Community
Bas-Rhin, France
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2020 - 05:14 PM UTC
I tend to do my without as museum tank without track if they are too complicated (I know it's somewhat lazy but since it's what if)
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2020 - 10:29 PM UTC
My builds tend to grind to a halt when it comes time to start track work. Removing from the sprue, cleaning up the attachment points. If you don't do a good job cleaning up it will bite you in the butt later on. Then assembly....
During the virus "stay at home" request I've taken some kits that just needed the tracks and worked on them seeing I had a lot of time. I found out that you develop a rhythm and and a few hours later all your track parts are cut & cleaned and ready for assembly.
I like "link & length" tracks, fewer parts.
Don't let it get you down! Whether you turn it into a marathon or a series of 30 minute sprints you will win the race! Don't be a quitter like I WAS once!!!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2020 - 11:05 PM UTC
When I have to build complicated indie tracks,I don't tackle them all at once.I will work on them while I am building other assemblies,build a handful of links here and there and put them aside so when the rest of the tank is ready for them,they too are almost done.
 _GOTOTOP