_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Selling built models on Ebay?
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,866 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - 03:21 AM UTC
I have a number of models built both years ago and recently, good quality builds, that I would like to do something with, other than scrap, in order to make room in my display cases for new stuff. I was curious about selling on Ebay. I'm not interested in making a profit or becoming a "professional", but thought there may be others out there who would enjoy having a display piece. My friends always seem very impressed with my finished work, don't know if they're just being polite or not, but I do pick up some gongs now and then, and am am AMPS 'advanced' class modeler. Anyone here used Ebay as a way of clearing out the display case, maybe make enough to at least recoup the cost of the kit? I've taken a look at Ebay, and only found "toys" or die-cast. I'm possibly searching the wrong categories. (Edit) I looked in "Toys and Hobbies", found a lot, varying costs and quality....... but still:
Any advise would be helpful.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - 03:33 AM UTC
Try typing in 'built model kits'and be amazed.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 17,694 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,968 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - 03:33 AM UTC
I have sold models I no longer want on eBay often. You can usually do pretty well there. A decent build of a tank can bring about $75-$100, plus shipping. There are quite a few there; just search for "1/35 built" and you will see them. I never put "professional builder" or "Pro-built" on the listing since most that are listed that way are definitely not. Just write up an honest listing of what it is and what you added, add some good pics of it, and the model will speak for itself.
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - 10:21 PM UTC
Go for it Russel, I usually sell most of my builds after the show season as I display at all my local shows and at Telford. I usually recoup the cost of the kit, but on occasions I have done really well. People do collect and will buy if the build is decent. I have customers who have saved me and check out my selling page often. One word of warning......make sure it is packaged very very well. Nothing worse than a photo of a crushed model you have built from a customer. I use plastic boxes and have loads of bubble wrap and plastic chips in to keep them safe. You just need to charge accordingly for the postage.
Good luck.

Pete
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 06:33 AM UTC
Thanks all, very good info.
I did find some built models, and boy oh boy.
I need to get busy.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2020 - 06:37 AM UTC
If I was a buyer,I would buy your stuff Russ
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 04:53 AM UTC
Thanks Anthony. I'm off to the beach again here soon, but upon return the plan is to set up a photo area and get started. I've picked a half-dozen of my builds done in the last five years or so, things that have no real significance or something I can still duplicate should I want to, and a few older ones that are at least as well done as a lot of offerings I saw, that should make good candidates.
plastickjunkie
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 399 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2020 - 01:42 AM UTC
I have sold lots of built models on ebay and you will be surprised sometimes how much one can get. It's just a matter of who is looking at the time and sometimes a bidding war between 2 or 3 bidders can occur benefiting your wallet big time.

The best packing material to use here is fiberfill available at Hobby Lobby or Walmart. A large bag is about $10 and can pack several models depending on the box size. Make sure you tightly pack the fiberfill to "suspend" and lock the model in the middle of the box having 3"-4" dead space all around the model.
 _GOTOTOP