What is mapping ?
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 02:48 AM UTC
Thanks for stopping by...
I've just started to re-read Mike Rinaldi's "Tank Art 1" book and he talks about "mapping". So far he's explained all the techniques mentioned but nary a word about mapping. I've also read other publications where mapping has been mentioned. Just what is it? Is it known by other names? Do you OR how do you do it?
Granted, I'm only on page 37 so far and maybe he will mention it deeper in his excellent book. I want to start taking my builds to a higher level.
Thanks !
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 07:32 AM UTC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmHezHDNsFs

https://miniarmour.net/2012/05/29/type-2-ka-mi-part-9-oil-mapping-and-streaking/
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 197 Posts
KitMaker Network: 12 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 08:34 AM UTC
I was confused as well and asked him. This is his response.

Mapping -- this term is actually more literal than a lot of people suspect. Think of a geographical map where the contour lines (of maybe a hilltop) are related and receding from the previous line, but they don't overlap.
With mapping, you are working with the same base color range on top of the previous layer, and not fully covering it with each successive layer. You can also switch between types of paints too, oil on top of acrylic, or enamel of acrylic too. Or thinned acrylic on top of acrylic base coats works great too.
Whitewash is a classic example perfect for this technique; burnt out rusted vehicles too. Layer 1 has the most coverage, layer two is applied on top (usually with a brush, and any paint type can be used) and covers maybe 75% of the area, adding more opaque layers on top without fully going back over all of layer 1. Layer 3 is more of the same, but only covers maybe 50% of layer 2... and so on.
It's a great way to build up opacities, and depth on certain types of finishes. See this T-34 whitewash below and notice how the lower whitewash layers cover the most area, the brighter more opaque layers on top, less so.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 - 12:09 PM UTC
Robin, thanks for the links!
And thank you too for your explanation Cody. I get it now coupled with the video.
Another tool for the tool box !
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 11:21 AM UTC
When will we see the first masterpiece treated with this method?
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2020 - 05:38 AM UTC
Well Robin, I'm just about ready to get my Takom PzIII into the paint shop. I'm going with a worn white wash cammo job. But first there are a couple of junk kits I want to experiment on using the mapping technique. Hopefully by the time snow flies and the cammo would be appropriate.
Thanks for checking in!
 _GOTOTOP