_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Bulged Tires
redaye
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 123 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 09:30 AM UTC
Hey there Guys,
I just came across something by accident. While casting resin tires, I had removed the casting from the mold too soon, resulting in a still soft resin copy. After playing with the copy for a bit, I cast another tire also removing it from the mold before it fully set. This time i pressed part of it down onto a flat surface, resulting in a bulged tire effect. I am now thinking of making some tires that look as though they have a flat. I am still experimenting, but I figured that i would share my early findins with the group.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 10:25 AM UTC
Really, wow, thanks a lot for this.....I was wondering where you got the stuff for the resin and the molds? Thanks for your time.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 02:51 PM UTC
I have done this for flat tires in the past. The trick as you have found is to remove them just before they are completely set. If you take them out of the mold too soon they will be really deformed and too late and they will not be pliable to make them flat. I use smooth on resin products and have had very good results with all my castings.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 03:41 PM UTC
Excellent technique! But...not to ruin anyone's day, but bulged tires are not realistic, accurate nor authentic.

Aircraft tires only bulge in they are low on psi or defective. To show weight, they should only be flattened.

Just to make sure I grabbed three air books (one about the AVG, one the Monogram USAAS & AC Vol. I, 1908-'41) and examined photos of generations of skysteeds at rest. Not a bulge in sight.

I recall a FSM letter from a WWII mechanic who burst my bubble on bulging tires, he too wrote that tires only bulge in they are low on psi or defective, and would be replaced ASAP. Since then while wandering the ramp I would observe tires on various and sundry aircraft, and talked to A&Ps. Bulged tires = remove and trash.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 04:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent technique! But...not to ruin anyone's day, but bulged tires are not realistic, accurate nor authentic.

who said anything about aircraft tyres? Truck tyres DO bulge when the truck is loaded but only at the bottom. So therefore if used in this context they are REALISTIC, Accurate and authentic.

Roo
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 04:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent technique! But...not to ruin anyone's day, but bulged tires are not realistic, accurate nor authentic. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------who said anything about aircraft tyres? Truck tyres DO bulge when the truck is loaded but only at the bottom. So therefore if used in this context they are REALISTIC, Accurate and authentic.

Whooooooops! Roo, you just...(pardon the pun)...deflated me!
(Where's that icon for an embarrassed smiley?)
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 08:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Aircraft tires only bulge in they are low on psi or defective. To show weight, they should only be flattened.

Just to make sure I grabbed three air books (one about the AVG, one the Monogram USAAS & AC Vol. I, 1908-'41) and examined photos of generations of skysteeds at rest. Not a bulge in sight.

I recall a FSM letter from a WWII mechanic who burst my bubble on bulging tires, he too wrote that tires only bulge in they are low on psi or defective, and would be replaced ASAP. Since then while wandering the ramp I would observe tires on various and sundry aircraft, and talked to A&Ps. Bulged tires = remove and trash.

got to disagree there our DROPS wagons have ripples/bulges on the sidewalls even with the correct tire pressure in them and not nessesary on the bottom either I've a look and see if I have a picture of it later id not I'll take one next week,
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 11:38 PM UTC
heres a pic albeit not a very clear one showing the bulges this is due to they way they are made I'll try and get side on shot next week,
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 389 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 - 01:04 AM UTC
Going home to try this technique. Thanks
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 - 02:00 AM UTC
Guys - Clif makes a good point. To take it further and state the obvious - if the tires are designed to - and - show a bulge when loaded - model it. There are examples of tires that do not display bulges - even when loaded - so it wouldn't be pleasing to the eye to try and model them that way. Check your references!

Most of the time, like every technique in our hobby, a little "tip" or "trick" often gets taken to the extreme...

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP