_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
eBay Fraud
Wanamaker
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 18 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 03:45 PM UTC
I was just wondering how do you guys deal with the amount of a eBay Fraud that’s out there how do you know what you’re purchasing even exists. Reason I’m asking is is out of the last four things I purchased of eBay only one has been a legitimate item that was actually delivered. My most recent attempt was to purchase Kitty hawks MH-60 knight hawk. I found a whole bunch for sale on eBay proximately 10 ads, I chose one reasonably priced had a 98% satisfaction rating. The day after I purchased it all the other ads disappeared and everything on his site disappeared for sale. Now when I checked the shipping information mysteriously the address is not even close to mine. I tried to contact him getting no answer in response. eBay has no place to complain other than wait for this ridiculously extended delivery date to pass before they’ll even think of investigating. I noticed today the new ad has appeared for the kit at a $20 reduction in the ad is exactly the same as his word for word picture for picture colour in the print, style and reviews Only thing that’s changed is the name of the seller. Maybe I’m just extra gullible I don’t know. I do know that I am done ever purchasing anything on eBay.
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 129 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 03:51 PM UTC
Sorry to hear you got scammed. I too think I’ve been scammed twice in the last couple weeks. Ordered off two different websites, both said shipping on 2-3 days, I’ve waited 14 days on both with no word from the retailer and they are not answering emails. Upon further investigation it seems both companies I ordered from happen to be run by the same outfit and they have dozens of negative reviews and complaints with the BBB of taking money but never delivering product. Leaves a sour taste in your mouth especially for someone just getting back into the hobby to have my first major purchase be a scam.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 04:32 PM UTC
I had an issue back in December and January with a fraudulent seller but Paypal refunded my money. One thing I look at is how long they've been on eBay and their rating. Any lower than the high 90's with years of selling and I don't bother.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 10:17 PM UTC
Also while you have to wait to get your money back Ebay are very good at supporting the buyer in the belief that you used Paypal.
Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
entire network: 1,202 Posts
KitMaker Network: 35 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 10:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I had an issue back in December and January with a fraudulent seller but Paypal refunded my money. One thing I look at is how long they've been on eBay and their rating. Any lower than the high 90's with years of selling and I don't bother.

Same thing happened to me during the same time period. They even showed a shipping history and a pick up, but the addresses were in China. I've learned that they need to show a history of doing business and if the price is too good to be true then it's probably fraud. Sorry to hear about your experience. I've had nothing but good buying experience on eBay otherwise. BTW eBay refunded my money in February. Remember, $175 models don't sell for $25 as my experience taught me.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 11:00 PM UTC
I've had some orders show up ridiculously late, but never go MIA altogether. The main issue I've had with eBay is thinking I'm buying a genuine article, only to find out it's a counterfeit. It doesn't happen too often since I try do a little more research before I hit the Purchase button, but it's also not limited to just modeling kits and supplies.

varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Also while you have to wait to get your money back Ebay are very good at supporting the buyer in the belief that you used Paypal.

100% Agree, Paypal guarantee is really good. You can claim to them instead of eBay.
Wanamaker
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 18 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 05:31 AM UTC
You’re right eBay money back guarantee is great but I have to wait till July before the return my money because of the extended delivery date. I noticed the seller is now selling under multiple ads changing them every week and keeps lowering the price. It’s interesting how he can have 100% rating. I have reported them to the manufacture as the manufacture contacted me when I inquired to say that the product he is selling isn’t even available from them yet.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 08:43 AM UTC
Some of the ones with a good feedback history actually create shill accounts where they pretend to purchase items and leave fake feedback. Ebay doesn't have a way to know if they actually shipped something to the shills or even if they paid themselves out of a second account to make it look like they are selling stuff. Those type are rare since the scheme is a bit complicated but they are out there. They usually don't have lots of sales though, which is something I avoid. As said above, if you don't have a lengthy history selling on ebay I won't buy from you.
plastickjunkie
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 399 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2020 - 07:07 AM UTC
Pay papal is pretty good about refunding money when stuff like this happens. It's happened to me a couple of times and PayPal came thru while ebay (even though both are owned by the same company) had the ridiculous waiting period thing.
nachjager
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 23 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 12:30 AM UTC
Ebay scammers are really easy to spot....if you see a Trumpeter 1/35 MI-24 for $24.95 and free shipping then its a scam.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 - 01:33 AM UTC
Watch out for an Email claiming yo be an Email from Ebay saying that an item you bid on has been cancelled. I do not have any items that I am bidding on at the moment and so its a scam link.
 _GOTOTOP