_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Hobby models and Military Model Depot
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 129 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 11:15 AM UTC
Has anyone ordered from hobbymodels.com or military model depot lately? I placed an order from each about 10 days ago and haven’t gotten any updates or tracking since. They seem to both be owned by the same group of people. I’ve tried emailing to no avail
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 12:29 PM UTC
Beware of these companies. Called my credit card company and one of the charges was listed as computer software. I will be filing a dispute tomorrow with the credit card company.

Anyone know of a reputable place I can order from? I am looking for the Paasche VLS airbrush, AFV Club Churchill MK III Dieppe and the Gecko Models British MG team.
ahandykindaguy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 1,295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 93 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 01:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Beware of these companies. Called my credit card company and one of the charges was listed as computer software. I will be filing a dispute tomorrow with the credit card company.

Anyone know of a reputable place I can order from? I am looking for the Paasche VLS airbrush, AFV Club Churchill MK III Dieppe and the Gecko Models British MG team.

Hey Matt, I'm here in Edmonton, and Wholesale Hobby is both online and has curbside pickup. I know that they have some AFV model kits, have purchased them from time to time. I also know that Colours Art Supply is online. I own 2 Paasche airbrushes from them, and I'm sure you could order from them. I always try to support the local businesses if I can.

Lada_Niva
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
entire network: 177 Posts
KitMaker Network: 77 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2020 - 09:59 PM UTC
I'm just reading this subject today, and I'm glad that I've been warned. Because I have listed the shop if I remember as a place to buy models from for beginners. So I will definitely delete that link from the lists. Thank for sharing this.
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 01:12 AM UTC
Update: my credit card company said I cannot start a dispute until it’s been 3 weeks since I expected the goods, even though I am 99% sure this is a scam. It’s been two weeks since I ordered without even a confirmation email or any form of communication.

Extremely frustrating way to get back into the hobby. Burbank house of hobbies has everything I want for cheaper but I can’t order it until I know what will happen with my current order, which could take up to a month or two to resolve.

Beware of internethobbies.com, militarymodeldepot.com and hobbymodels.com, they all seem to be owned by the same group and all three have dozens of better business bureau complaints for the same thing I am dealing with (ie taking payment but never shipping items)
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 02:13 AM UTC
https://www.scalehobbyist.com/
is quite good. Never had any problems and great communications.
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 02:28 AM UTC
Cheers, they had everything I want too, minus the airbrush but that can be bought locally.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 02:35 AM UTC
Who did?
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Who did?

Scale Hobbyist, they have the Churchill, Decals I would like, and the British MG team marching set.
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 496 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 03:02 AM UTC
Thanks for the warnings, Matt. I hope everything gets worked out between you and your credit card company.

Tim
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Who did?

Scale Hobbyist, they have the Churchill, Decals I would like, and the British MG team marching set.

They seem to have a lot of turnover, you'll see items out of stock especially paint restocked pretty quick. I don't worry about get old paint from them.
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Who did?

They seem to have a lot of turnover, you'll see items out of stock especially paint restocked pretty quick. I don't worry about get old paint from them.

Appreciate the info on it. They had everything I was looking for and I got the airbrush at a local hobby shop. Ended up being cheaper than the order I got “scammed on”.

As an aside I finally got through to the hobbymodels.com but I had to go through my credit card company to get a phone number for them... they said they would refund immediately a I should see the money by Tuesday. If I don’t I will be filing a fraud claim with my CC provider
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2020 - 07:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Who did?

Appreciate the info on it. They had everything I was looking for and I got the airbrush at a local hobby shop. Ended up being cheaper than the order I got “scammed on”.

As an aside I finally got through to the hobbymodels.com but I had to go through my credit card company to get a phone number for them... they said they would refund immediately a I should see the money by Tuesday. If I don’t I will be filing a fraud claim with my CC provider

Do you have a PayPal account? I only shop for hobby stuff using my PayPal account because of the guarantees and they'll get a refund for you or negotiate a solution. Very handy to have.
Wanamaker
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 18 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 02, 2020 - 05:49 PM UTC
Matthew. Have you tried HOBBYSENSE out of Winnipeg? I have been practising a lot for them lately, prices are reasonable And right now there’s a 15% discount on all orders. shipping is fairly reasonable I get it within three days. Inventory is great and he’s getting new stuff in daily.
Craig
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2020 - 02:01 AM UTC
I bought a couple things from hobby sense the other day, great service and super fast shipping.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2020 - 02:46 PM UTC
I also can vouch for Hobbysense. Great value, 15% discount and flat $12.99 shipping.
bat_213
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 110 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2020 - 11:34 AM UTC
hi guys,have you tried NRC HOBBYSHOP.COM.I USE THEM All the time,free shiping on oder of 100.oo or more.they have alot of kits and the price is not bad,so gve a try.
Andrew77
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2020 - 08:49 PM UTC
I love to build wood ship kits it's my hobby and suggest you web
https://www.agesofsail.com/
 _GOTOTOP