_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Best glue and process for metal parts?
MattEa
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 129 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 01:18 AM UTC
I just ordered the AFV club MKIII Churchill Dieppe. This project holds a special connection for me as my hometown division supplied the armor for the Dieppe Raid. I want to do a really good job on this kit and have some hesitations about the PE and metal barrel that come with it.

I have done some PE in the past but not a metal barrel. My question is what glue and method is best for tackling PE parts. In the past Iíve used generic CA glue but Iíve always found this approach a little messy as the glue is quite runny and hardens almost instantly leaving very little room for error.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / EspaŮa
entire network: 1,288 Posts
KitMaker Network: 337 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 01:31 AM UTC
For bigger parts like the gun barrel you can use gel type CA, which is thicker and takes longer to cure, or even epoxi.

For PE that you do not need to hold while it dries, you can use Gator Grip ( http://www.gatorsmask.com/gatorglueorder1.html ) or Ammo Ultraglue (https://www.migjimenez.com/en/accessories/1935-ultra-glue-for-etch-clear-parts-more-.html).

For the smallest parts, with tiny contact surface, I am afraid you have to rely on CA. Remember that acetone can clean it.

Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 06:19 AM UTC
I've used CA and epoxy with equal success. The important step is to make sure the metal part is clean and free of anything leftover from manufacturing, mold release agent, cutting oil or coolant. Use IPA or acetone to clean the metal. Also sand the metal where it's going to have glue applied to give the glue something to cling to. 600 grit is fine, after sanding make sure the metal is clean and free of sanding debris. Gel type CA is my preference in the CA arena. Longer work time so you can position the part properly, same with epoxy.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 - 07:37 AM UTC
One possibility when it comes to positioning small parts that can not be glued with normal glue/solvent for styrene plastic is to use CA, Gel-CA. epoxy or other glue to glue the part to a thin shim of styrene plastic. When it has hardened/cured the excess shim is trimmed off and the part can be glued like a normal styrene part.

This is useful for larger parts that are difficult to position correctly. Works fine with resin parts and many of the PE-parts. The smallest PE parts need to be glued without a shim since it is nearly impossible to trim off the shim neatly.

If there is some space between the barrel and the location hole it might be possible to wrap the barrel with some styrene or maybe widen the hole sligthly to make room.
/ Robin
 _GOTOTOP