_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Help A YoungBlood
Jerm
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 19 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 09:54 AM UTC
Hi...I just discovered this site today while in school and I instantly thought that I could get some help. Im 14, an age which I think is young for this hobby, but that doesn't mean I haven't built anything, so far I have built a few tanks and numerous infantry ( 1:35 German ) However these models are not to my satisfactory and im hoping that all you pros out there can give some advice, anything, at all would be helpfull I am aware that you all like to talk amongst yourselves, but please sink down to my level and help me out
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 10:00 AM UTC
Ola Jerm

Welcome to the Site. A site you will discover as the Best in the world. I know for sure that every question you have can and Will be answered here in the forums. You only have to ask. And remember there is no such thing as a stupid question and if there is such a thing then it is a question that isn`t asked.
I am a member for almost 2 years now and since I became a member here My modeling took a sprint in quality and I`m getting better and better every model I make. You have the advantage to have Internet to use aside your hobby an Advantage I didn`t had when I started out this hobby. The PC will become just a important tool as your Exacto and your glue and paints.

I hope you will have fun here on the site wich I absolutely do not doubt.

GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 10:03 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama Jerm! My first and best advice is to always ask questions. There is a lot of inspiration here on Site. My second piece of advice is always build what you like - for yourself. You'll always do well by following your heart and interests.

Gunnie
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 10:05 AM UTC
I've been modelling now for over 40 years, and the most important thing I've learn't from this site - it's never too late to learn, I've improving all the time ( I hope).
Welcome and don't be afraid to look at other peoples models and ask questions.
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 10:18 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama! I think it is wonderful that you have such an interest in this hobby! You have certainly come to the right place to learn. There is much knowledge and experience on this site, and everyone is ready and willing to help. Ask questions!!...and most importantly, have fun.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 10:32 AM UTC
Welcome to Armorama,Jerm Ask your questions and I am sure that someone here will be more than happy to answer. If you have some photos of your work you can display it here on your free space in the gallery. We all learn everyday.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 10:53 AM UTC
Wow, Jerm, you must be pleased, three UOM's, four editors, and four moderator's in one thread. Welcome aboard and more of the same. I would suggest reading as much as you can on the subject, both the modelling aspect and the real tanks and infantry involved. An informed choice is a good choice. If you know what that doo-hicky on the back of the tiger is, you will know better how to model it, weather it, and place it. And above all ask questions. Five out of five reply's have all said to ask questions. Take a hint from that. We wouldn't be part of this community if we didn't all want to contribute in some way. We all have something to share, some more than others, but we all want to contribute.

Rob
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 11:11 AM UTC
hi welcome to the best site in the world.
any thing u wanna know just ask,
and get some books on model tanks
books allways help good luck
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 11:23 AM UTC
You're already off to a good start simply by being here. I've been at this for a lot of years and still pick up ideas. I joined a little while ago and after the first week dropped all the other "modeling" groups I was in. Even though it sounds like you are into armor, check out the other forums every time you log in. A lot of the techniques, materials, etc. are common to all types of modeling. Also, spend some time in the gallery-there is a lot of high quality work there to inspire you. And like everyone else said, ask questions. If you check some of the threads, you'll see everybody does, even the moderators and staff members. I have yet to see a response that belittles anyone, even in the Critic's Corner or Rivet Review Board.

Art
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 254 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 02:46 PM UTC
Hey there, and welcome to Armorama. Don't lworry about young, I'm only 17 myself. Though old, these farts around here are really nice and will help you out with anything you need. AS far as advice on how to build stuff, go to the features section, there is tons of advise there. So far my bible for armor models has been the first article under armor.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/34
Great article. I took some of the advice in it, and my models instantly got 100% better.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 05:45 PM UTC
ASK, ask, ask...learn, learn, learn, glue, glue, paint, paint, ask, glue, ask.
A wonderful process at Armorama
We're here for you, you're here for us
Welcome to the party!
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 07:38 PM UTC
hi Jerm,
welcome to Armorama.we are glad to have you in our modelling family.We feel younger as more young modelers join the gang :-) and we all have so many things to learn from each other. please dont hesitate to say,ask,answer,comment,etc
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 389 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 03:23 AM UTC
Wellcome to Armorama. You'll find here every detail you want. You're lucky, because when I began my hobby I did not have the posibility of learning and searching at internet. I learned much more things from Armorama.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 06:05 AM UTC
The best way to learn is to ask. It will certainly help to ask detailed questions that are not too broad. That way someone can give you a specific technique. BTW 14 is not too young to learn to build although you may not have the financial resources to acquire some of the tools or aftermarket parts. That's OK. It will give you plenty of time to practice your skills on OOTB (out of the box) kits
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 06:09 AM UTC
Hi Jerm ...you are so lucky to have the internet..I started building armor at about your age ...(many years ago) it took me many years to bring up my skills to the level they are at today but I must say the biggest leap has been since I have been on line and actually talking to the people I was in awe of...Hey they are just like us ..who would have known!?..I have learned more tips and techniques in the last 5 years than I learned the other 25years combined ..You are lucky to have the world at your finger tips...use it and your modelling skills will surpass us old farts in no time ... Welcome aboard ....now let's see your name all over these forums!

Have fun
Rick
sniperwolf
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 86 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:46 AM UTC
I am even younger and inexperienced than you are, but these people here have kindly and simply answered all of my questions, so do not be afraid of asking the basic questions, we are all here to help anybody that needs it
Jerm
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 19 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 10:38 AM UTC
WOW thanks so much for the welcome guys, i had no idea i would get that response I feel so honored to have been talked to by so many gods of the modeling world I have over 20 books on german armor and units and thats mainly where i got the idea to start building. I have been on and off in the hobby for a number of years but now with that type or reseption, i think i am here to stay
Thank You
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 12:29 PM UTC
Welcome aboard, glad to have you with us. If you have any questions or need anything don't hesitate to ask. Enjoy yourself here at Armorama.
Harv.
Sting
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 4 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 01:55 PM UTC
Hey Jerm

Yes this is one of the best sites you can find. I am one of the few female modellers in this area, I haven't stopped asking questions no matter what forum I am in. I guess the best thing I can tell you is research all the aspects of this wonderful hobby. I got lots of books to help me out in the beginning and then i joined a modelling club, which put me in touch with others who were into the same stuff I was. Then there is always the computer where there is a vast amount of info/pics and groups. But most of all enjoy what you do.

cheers colleen
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 05:21 PM UTC
Hi there Jerm , there is only one mistake u can do being here " If you dont ask "
This family is here to be helpfull to all members no matter age , skills, money level or anything else. Modelling is a hobby and should be treated like that. You give it respect and effort and it gives back much fun and self satisfaction. So welcome aboard on the best site on all planet. I hope that the family touch will boost up your productivity (as it did mine and so many others here) and will also improve your skills. Take care to be also helpfull and friendly and post as many times you can updates of your builds so people can commente them and give you helpfull advises. the rest ..is on screen......

Costas

Greets from Greece
gkicsak
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 50 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 07:42 PM UTC
Ditto on all of the above.

If you don't ask, you won't know. I also suggest keeping an eye on a few treads and do lots of reading (in the forums).

Cheers,
Gabe
 _GOTOTOP