_GOTOBOTTOM
Tips & Tricks
Ask about and post about tips and tricks you use while modelling.
buying/using metal barrels
phil2015
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 502 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 09:58 AM UTC

I'm planning a next build and thinking about a metal barrel for it. So, I'm new to armor modeling mostly, absorbing everything I can here.

I think I have 3 questions, but may have more once we start talking. I'm comparing two barrels, one from Aber and one from RB for a Stug III G (L48) with the oval muzzle brake.
- when you buy a metal barrel, is it made for a kit? Both Aber and RB advertise for a vehicle but not a kit
- do you usually have to modify the kit to make the barrel fit correctly? (working on plastic is no problemo)
- other than price, how does one compare between multiple vendors?

Thanks!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2020 - 11:28 AM UTC
No,not usually.
Sometimes surgery is needed to adapt the mental barrel.Sometimes more,sometimes less.
petbat
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,353 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 06, 2020 - 09:44 AM UTC
Usually if a barrel is generic it can be made to fit any kit. Most of the time it will simply have a locating pin at the rear which fits in a hole that may need drilling out or if one is already fitted, may need widening or filling. For filling, it may be as easy as gluing a piece of curved styrene inside the hole or wrapped around and glued to the barrel pin

Some barrels are specific to certain kits, such as Aber's barrel for the Dragon Panzer 3's, as the kit has an unusual way of fitting (in this example, the barrel has a thinner section part way down). Usually these specific to kit barrels are called out by a manufacturer.

As to which to get. Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes the cheaper option is just as good. Straight barrels with rifling visible may mean finer or deeper rifling with Aber than the others - but not always. I suggest you search for reviews and detail pics on what you are looking for.

This webpage has numerous pics of an aber L/48 barrel so you can see it in detail:
https://www.bnamodelworld.com/parts-decals-for-1:35-scale-aber-ab-35l-60n?zenid=2918900abfc10e1d17d03b4f14a69f2f

Note: Aber gives you a spacer for the Saukopf version as per the instruction image

RB show off theirs here:
https://www.rbmodel.com/picture.php?dir=35B31

RB don't provide instructions, so multipart barrels may mean you need to see their website for how it goes together. Aber always provide instructions.

It comes down to your own preference and needs, and how much cash you want to part with. I use both Aber and RB barrels and have been happy with them both.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2020 - 09:47 AM UTC
If RB makes it, I buy it from them directly. I usually buy several at a time to save money. I've bought dozens of RB barrels and find them to be highly detailed and the best value. They fit most kits with no alterations.
 _GOTOTOP