_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
The Rabbit and the Tortoise
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 03:36 AM UTC
What is your working pace like?
Do you spend your time actually building patiently and carefully, or do you work in fast bursts? Planning while executing the idea?

That interests me because I work the same way I draw: I let the idea develop, sometimes for a long time, but when I begin the actual work with a project, I paint, build and finish a task in a short period of time. Sometimes the idea comes suddenly and I go for it right away but the working pace stays the same.
This leads to a sketch-like result where every smallest detail may not be "completed" but it feels like a balanced effort. If I worked more carefully I would probably overdo it!

Toni
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 03:40 AM UTC
One hand UP for the tortoise

I plan a long time before I build. I learned in school about Einstein's "thought experiments". I do the same with modeling. When I switch from "thought" to "construction" I'm just repeating what I've gone over in my mind several times. My pace is slower than most, but that's because I have a demanding career and family. On the weekends, if left alone, I fly through the steps I layed out ahead of time - but even then, it is probably a tortoise's pace compared to most.

Gunnie
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 03:46 AM UTC
I'm pretty similar to you, Toni. I'll spend a lot of time planning and researching something, but once I get started, I want to keep working on it. It still takes me a while to finish a model, though.

Nic
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 04:14 AM UTC
I take a looong time. Not because of more research, etc. but because it's hard to find time. I feel the research is an ongoing thing that has no start or finish. I'm always trying to read something new or find an example of a subject. Not just when I happen to be building.

Also, I like to put something on hold for a few days and then look at it again criticly. Just like when you write a letter, it's good to leave it overnight and re-read for mistakes, clarity... (very UNLIKE email on the Internet!)

Personally, I'm skeptical when I see an awsome model and the person says they did it in 15 hours or something. I don't keep track, but I must be really slow.

And, why would I keep a record of my hours for a leisure activity? I'm not billing by the hour! I see some people use the fact that they spent 200 hours to finish a project as some sort of badge of honor. Hey, if you are happy doing it overnight or over two years, cool!

Not that I think time spent working on a model equals quality. I've seen things people have spent a year on that look like a weekend bash and weekend bash's that look like museum pieces...

Steve
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 455 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 04:28 AM UTC
I tend to work at a steady pace; it just seems fast because time vanishes so quickly! I will expend a LOT of time researching and planning, and I don't hesitate to stop a project in mid-stream if I am not satisfied I have all the data I need. That's the case for my Fireflies; still waiting for a book I ordered from England and unwilling to proceed without it. So I move on to something else for a while. I'll get back to them, an they will be better for the wait and additional consideration. I do find that basic construction usually goes very rapidly indeed, but that adding or correcting details takes much longer. Likewise, the basic color coats go on quickly but the detail painting and weathering take much more time.
Greg
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 05:28 AM UTC
Sometimes I'm the hare, sometimes I'm the turtoise. Depends a bit. When you see many of my posts, I'm in a turtoise modeling period.

(sometimes we are the windshield, sometimes we are the bug - dire straits)
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 330 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sometimes I'm the hare, sometimes I'm the turtoise. Depends a bit. When you see many of my posts, I'm in a turtoise modeling period.

Sometimes I'm the snail #:-)
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 5,579 Posts
KitMaker Network: 538 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 06:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good qoute... Dire Straits fan? Glad to know there are more...

BTW, I'm always working slow. I do a lot of research for my figures, gathering info and pics. I usually build and paint the model couple of times in my head and then go to the real thing... As far as the true "modeling" is concerned I don't have much free time, so when I grab some hours for painting I can be very unpatient and ruin the job I've done before... And then I must start over. And that drives me mad. Who said modeling is good to calm your mind???

Mario M.

sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,065 Posts
KitMaker Network: 497 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 07:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sometimes I'm the snail #:-)

Hey, I've got a pet snail. Let me tell you, those things can cruise!

Steve
mkultra
Visit this Community
New Zealand
entire network: 13 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 07:39 AM UTC

It all depends on what mood i'm in.

Sometimes i'm in the 'zone' for modelling and work through the night, sometimes wild horses couldn't drag me to my modelling table or I paint a component and can't be motivated to do much more.

I generally do a little planning before starting a project though , then see how things go.
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 07:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Most of the time, I'm the bug that hits the windshield... of a car that just broke down... in the middle of of the desert.

Relatively speaking anyway...

I just cruise through the construction phase, my M41 is almost fully assembled in about three days. Then comes time to paint and then WHAM!!! Right into a brick wall! I guess part of it is that I'm not too confident in my painting ability, but if I can just realize that great paint takes experince... Hoo, would things ever move more quickly for me!
What to do for practice with the airbrush? Hmmm.... a t-shirt maybe? How about a smiley?
Eh, just a thought...

YodaMan
cdave
Visit this Community
entire network: 545 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 09:57 AM UTC
I for one, spend time slow and carefully.

be it not one to redu an item, I like to think out the paln of atack. This is why I have two closets of kits and add-ons.

Dave
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 10:04 AM UTC
I think I am a Hyber-Hare-Tortoise, If I build OOTB, I can finish one along with painting in a little more than a week. And if with all the aftermarket stuffs, it tends to last longer, say maybe 3 to 4 weeks. Because my mind is if I put so much and so money in the kit, I might as well invest more time into it. I do my research along the building process, i.e. if I am making a fire extinguish, I will look for the pictures of it, rather than do a whole lot planning ahead.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 08, 2002 - 10:06 AM UTC
I build more like the rabbit the race with the tortoise. I start with a flash, have several related kits going, then ;ay down waiting for the tortoise. When he passes I start some more work. Most of the time i have a pile of partially completed kits. I can relate to YodaMan when I hit a roadblock at painting. Maybe one reason I built a bunch of Russian armor (all some shade of dark green) I am at a block getting up nerve to paint a Grumman FF-1 & F3F-1 in the yellow wings and bright markings.
Red4
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 03:58 AM UTC
Depends on the mood I'm in. If everything is moving smoothly then I'm the hare....If I'm going for absolute, no crap, gotta be absolutely perfect (to me) then I'm the snail..... Hmmm Rabbits and snails....I'm hungry. "Q"
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 04:25 AM UTC
I am such a Tortoise.
I spent an hour this morning picking threads out of an old pair of panty hose to get 'just the right' strand for an aircraft antena. Not sure if I am going to do that one again.

I also take care and time in cleaning seems, filling holes, etc.

On the assembly and construction I really take my time. I usually work in 1 to 2 hour stints. I haven't found a way to make my hobby pay the bills so while I'm at my J.O.B. I am usually planning (or posting ) and calculating what I will do at the bench. I usually have two or three kits in various stages so I am always switching gears from one to the other. It gives me a longer time to plan the process for each kit. Three days of thought then I get to a session with that idea. Then I rotate and have them going. I will also practice techniques and ideas as side bars so this slows the process even more.

My goal is to optimize my time at the bench with whatever it is. When I sit down I know exactally what I am going to achieve during that particular session.
I don't like wasting time. Practice and Patience definitely lead to quality and appearance.
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,454 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 05:19 AM UTC
i used to do a couple of hours a night,then bang on at the weekend,the garden was
overgrown,jobs half undone all over the house(i'lldo it later dear)...but since i joined up with you lot at armorama.....figures half done,books unopened,dust gathering on top of paint
tins.And the garden is still overgrown.
Arthur
Am Alba Mannich
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 06:43 PM UTC
Me I guess I am slower then all get out,I take my time no rush that it has to be done in a single day week or month or months this is where the fun is Hobby not a job
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 525 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 - 09:49 PM UTC
#:-) #:-) Thier Appears to be ALOT Of Turtles around here, No Wonder theres a MAJOR
TRAFFIC JAM. "HEY SOMEONE" move over I m trying to get thru...LOL I guess I fit both Typess like a few of you guys that I just read about. I Too can work at a slow pace if I'm not certain about quiet how I want to approach a particular project, So then I will go step by step
carefully analysising everything I'm doing. Or If I just want take my time with it then I will go slowly. BUT then there are times when like some of you, I get an idea in my head and I have planned it out already, And BOOM Off I go, And the Project goes VERY quickly. Like my M1A1
Which only took about a little more than a week. As have some of my A/C models. Either way I enjoy it which ever way I approach the current project.

DAGGER-1 "LUCK" ? I Dont Believe In Luck, Only Cold Hard Cash, And Hot Lead"
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 4,082 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 01:22 AM UTC
I'm the touch and go type of guy..... coming in steady and at a normal pace and then at a sudden, I just power up the afterburner and rocket away........ and then, after some time again.........br......br.......br.......blob........blob.........woofffffff.....pf........pft..... BURNOUT !
 _GOTOTOP