_GOTOBOTTOM
Network Talk
For discussions about network-wide site topics, announcments, etc.
Local Ads
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 12:49 AM UTC
For a few days I have been seeing ads from my local supermarket Ingle's appearing on the site,they thank the site for letting them post ads on this site.Is that correct or is something wrong with my browser.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 02:14 AM UTC
It is google using your tracking data to target ads.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 482 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 02:43 AM UTC
Google watches everything you do and gathers and sales that data. It will target ads to you, send you spam regarding things you have searched for and never deletes anything you search for when you say "hey google". Major invasion of privacy. If you don't want that much tracking log out of your google account then you'll just get generic ads. Also flush you cookies every once in a while.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 03:07 AM UTC
Thank you,I am aware that Google does that,just weird the way they made it seem like they were thanking the site for giving its permission.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 09:48 AM UTC
Have you experienced the phenomena of talking about something and then moments later finding an add for that something pop up on your phone?

They know too much about us.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 01:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Have you experienced the phenomena of talking about something and then moments later finding an add for that something pop up on your phone?

They know too much about us.

Many people believe that your smartphone is listening to you while you speak searching for keywords. These words could be used for advertising, monitoring for criminal acts, hacking or blackmail. I don't have a cell phone, I have a tablet and the first thing I do is go to each app that requests access to my microphone and remove the permission. I then place a small piece of tape over the microphone opening. Call this professionally trained paranoia drilled into me by my military career.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 04:01 PM UTC
Meanwhile I am having a secret affair with Amazon's Alexa. Love her.
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 05:08 PM UTC
You may want to rethink that relationship.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/amazon-alexa-stores-voice-data-indefinitely
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberDirector of Member Services
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 6,693 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,042 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - 06:51 PM UTC
When some boss wants to micromanage and know everything you do: Make sure to give them a LOT of information to overload them.

When someone/something tracks your internet behaviour:
Search for a lot of non-relevant things to confuse the algorithms. Compare with trying to hide a small rock, hiding it in couple of cubic yards of gravel is better than in the asphalt-covered driveway
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2020 - 04:45 AM UTC
So if I did a search for diesel fuel, fertilizer, timers, penguins, ball bearings, backpacks all at the same time I might get a knock on my door?
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2020 - 09:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One of Google's higher ups has said he unplugs all his devices and goes into a separate room to discuss important matters just to be safe.
timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 496 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2020 - 09:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So if I did a search for diesel fuel, fertilizer, timers, penguins, ball bearings, backpacks all at the same time I might get a knock on my door?

What's the need for penguins? > knock knock<
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 12:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Do you really want to know?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 02:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well if I broke up with Alexa, I suppose Siri would be happy.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 07:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well if I broke up with Alexa, I suppose Siri would be happy.

You're better off out of it - I heard both gals have a thing going with all the other folks in town!
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2020 - 01:42 PM UTC
Siri is just as big of a gossip and alexa.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210657

When you use Siri and Dictation, the things you say and dictate will be sent to Apple to process your requests. In addition to these audio recordings, your device will send other Siri Data, such as:

contact names, nicknames, and relationships (e.g., “my dad”), if you set them up in your contacts;

music, books and podcasts you enjoy;

names of your and your Family Sharing members’ devices;

names of devices and members of a shared home in the Home app; and

the names of your photo albums, apps installed on your device, and shortcuts you added through Siri.

I got a nice monitor a couple years ago, had a built in camera and mic. I was trying Windows 10 and my mic and camera kept activating without my permission. I went into settings and disabled it only to have it activated by another app. Last time I had to monitor an american for the government they came with warrants and the proper documentation to do it. Now they can monitor us without it.

I took the monitor apart and cut the wires to the the camera and mic.

I'm a professionally trained paranoid. On several occasions we found listening devices in the barracks. We knew which M.I. unit was doing it and why so we left them alone. But people don't understand how tech companies spy on you and allow others to do so too.
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 01:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Do you really want to know?

Possibly something kinky involving innocent birds,
could be some really fowl practices going on ...

By the way: Ball bearing balls are unnecessarily expensive, use gravel, glass fragments and cut off rebar instead ...
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 03, 2020 - 04:05 AM UTC
For heavens sake Robin what do you think I need the ball bearings for? What you are suggesting is horrible! I have to repair the headset on my bike, you know the handle bars and forks on my bike and it uses loose ball bearings.

Man, some of you people are twisted.

And the penguins are for my sister. She like holstein cows so if figured she might like black and white birds for her birthday.

You people. And Google. And the FBI.

Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 1,476 Posts
KitMaker Network: 13 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 05:40 PM UTC
OK I hear you all, but how come all I ever see in the right-hand side-bar whenever I log into Armorama is beautiful women with spectacular breasts & great legs advertising interesting garments? Far more interesting than any Kitmaker forum without a doubt, but I’ve never been a cross-dresser so why do “they” think I’m the right demographic for women’s fashion?? And no I’ve never, ever, clicked on those ads. OK I know, just lucky I guess
RobinNilsson
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 - 11:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK I hear you all, but how come all I ever see in the right-hand side-bar whenever I log into Armorama is beautiful women with spectacular breasts & great legs advertising interesting garments? Far more interesting than any Kitmaker forum without a doubt, but I’ve never been a cross-dresser so why do “they” think I’m the right demographic for women’s fashion?? And no I’ve never, ever, clicked on those ads. OK I know, just lucky I guess

Maybe it is some kind of defult option when the algorithms can't come up with anything better?

I just got ads for German Knödel (dumplings) but that is probably because my daughter needed a map of the German federal states (DING! Interested in Germany! Check, check, check ...AAHHAAA! here we got it! Knödel!! Gott Sei Dank we found something suitable so
we didn't have to run the flimsy lingerie again ...)

Edit:
Danggggitt! They must have read my post while I was typing it because now I got an ad for a local Jeep retailer and there was also a brief flash about RV rentals ....
Scarred
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 - 01:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK I hear you all, but how come all I ever see in the right-hand side-bar whenever I log into Armorama is beautiful women with spectacular breasts & great legs

Because you're lucky?

If you aren't allowing tracking via your gmail or google account then you get generic settings. They'll send you ads from the area local to your IP address. When I use my VPN and log onto a server in another country I'll gets ads based on that IP.
 _GOTOTOP